Chapter 1

There once was a time...

My father became a knight, he didn't come upon such an honour lightly. His vigor, kindness and skill brought him to the person I aspire to be. I realize now, as I have grown, that he shaped me into who I am today. I do miss him terribly.
I was not yet born at the beginning of his new life yet I would be told for years that I was his Jade gem. Perfect saying as that was the name my parents gave me.
The story of how he became a knight filled my childhood. I grew up aspiring to be ,at the very least, half as valiant as my father whose success and charm was grand. Father's story is that of a skilled hunter who, by stroke of pure luck or, perhaps, fate was forced to action in a difficult situation.
On a market day he arrived into the castle square with furs and soon after saw danger. Our Kingdom's castle was overwhelmed with many horrible fiends. Ducking for safety from the path of an arrow he raced up stone service stairs. There was an open window at the far end. He ran to it an saw a sizeable man holding a small girl. She was dressed in a fancy pink dress with rosy cheeks. The single imperfection she had was a deep cut on her cheek. Father immediately knew she must be of royal decent. Her pink dress was splattered faintly with blood as father's arrow launched into her captor's eye. She looked up at father closely.
When a knight rounded the corner in search of the girl she ran up to him. The knight asked her if she was okay after inspecting the unfortunate gash on her face. Her small finger pointed up at father and she smiled. 

"That man saved me."

Father was declared a Knight by a grateful king and queen. In the castle he met a beautiful maid with dark chestnut hair. This maid became known to me as my mother. Mother was a splendid woman with worn fingers and soles from hard work. I was born into the world one year later followed by my brother Ryan and sister Sasha, born a year apart each. They say it's a miracle my mother survived the difficult labour. The unfortunate end to my parents marriage did however come to pass soon after. I never did ask why, I suppose my mother just preferred a more modest way of life.

I am eighteen and live with my family still. Mother and Father live in separate homes yet due to Catholic law mother is bound to father's land. She stays in a simple home farthest from the large main house. My family has a lot of land so I often have to ride out to visit her.
My brother is wed to a beautiful red-head by the name Sarlee. She is kind and cheery, her blue eyes light up a room. Ryan and Sarlee are the proud owners of a blacksmiths shop down in the heart of our largest village. The two were wed last year atop a green hill. England air was warm and inviting on their wedding day. I smile, happy for my brother. He is a good lad and has made Sarlee happy to spend with her life with him.

My sister and I are free spirits. Neither have stopped long enough to feel want for the hand of a man. At least this proved true until a certain lad caught her eye a few sundays past.

We often roam the rocky hills of the mountains by our home. Sasha wears her wheat colored dress when she is out. Her blond hair is done up out of her face to help her focus. She is masterful with a bow and arrow. She practices in secret in the heart of the forest. I prefer my sword. My long dark hair is kept out of my face with pins. My dark blue and black dress is made of rough fabrics. It is durable and splits up the middle to my knee for fighting. I had it made by my most trusted friends. Kiara and Alexa created the design and bought the fabrics. I am reminded of my friends each day as I wear my dress. I am meeting up with Kiara in the forest today.

Today we are both slipping from the house while father meets with the merchant Sir Ki and his son. I have accompanied him on many visits to them. The merchant, Sir Ki, is a tall round man used to food at his table. He is forthcoming and has a bold voice when he speaks. I do deals with his son when i can, it is easier and less stressful. His son has brown hair and stocky build. His light eyes glint with excitement at each sale made. I always had a habit of forgetting his name as my chance to speak with him was slim. Luckily for sake of no embarrassment he reminds me of his name often, almost as if our meeting was a first encounter.

The forest is quiet and calm as we walk over the twigs and moss. I notice my sister staring beyond into thought. The sun begins to cast shadows as we walk further in. The dancing of leaves creates a sense of peace. As I observe the elements of nature my sister has wandered off again. Lately she has been fawning over a man. Young love, I suppose, gets ahold of everyone at one time or another. Sasha sets off to a ancient tree awaiting someone.

"Who are you waiting for?" I ask teasing her by poking her ribs.

"Kyle promised to bring his horse, I am going riding today."

I smiled and poked her shoulder," Kyle? He has ventured far from Pillip II grand Kingdom of France has he not?"

She tries to hide a grin behind her hand," Oui Kyle," she looked at me closer, "is that a problem?"

"No," I said flatly because I knew her next words.

"When the day comes I will be fine covering for you," she grinned happily picking at an old scab of mine.

I gritted my teeth and pulled out my sword from my brown belt. The long blade made a shwing noise as it came out. I looked at myself in the reflection. Relationships were not my area. Sasha knew this but as my sister with more fortune in the area she enjoyed my weakness. I heard a whining horse in the distance.

"Don't travel all the way to France this time," I shouted over my shoulder.

"I've seen France already, perhaps Spain!" She teases and fixed her gaze on Kyle and his slender black horse in the distance.

"You know," says she dreamily," I would be a lucky woman to marry such a man."

As far as handsome is described Kyle is the picture all women paint in the canvas that is their mind. Despite the swooning that he must endure he is a modest man. I suppose I respect him for his good character. When he came closer I could see he wore brown pants and a white, long loose shirt. His dark black hair matched his French features. Sasha gave him her winning smile as he rode up to her. They certainly made a beautiful young couple. I greeted Kyle and left them to return home.

At a last moment decision I chose to eavesdrop. As a sister I was obligated to ensure my younger was safe. I suppose curiosity got the better of me as I stopped short to listen. Luckily for my plan I hadn't gotten too far away.

"So Kyle where are we going," my sister mused in a voice as sweet as honey.

"The French countryside my darling," he must've pulled her up onto the horse now.

Her bow and arrows left hidden behind a tree. I couldn't help grinning as the two rode off out of sight. I climbed back down the cedar tree and made my way back to my horse. I'd saved up since I was young to keep money for a future not yet planned. Working as a Tudor has splendid benefits. I taught the French, Spanish, and Latin languages. My skills targetted mostly the merchant class, of whom paid handsomely, as they wished to make sales and have no language barrier. New times it felt had rolled into the Kingdom of Picardy.

I think of my plans to visit Kiara now as Sasha has long gone. My horse Ginger was named for her colour and has character a white patch around her right eye. I swung back onto her saddle now and set off to meet with Kiara.

Kiara was with a group of tribal natives. She was a healer and ,when I first ever arrived, was able to heal my fever. In my younger years I had wandered into the forest and eaten some poisonous fruits. Hallucinations brought me frightened and weak and I suppose God led me to her. Being the innocent age of twelve I was new to the world outside of home. Kiara and the other tribe women saved me. As time passed I grew close to Kiara. She was a few years older than I at 15 but we got along well. I became friends with her and other children in the native village. Kiara, Cougar, Mint, and Sparrow are my friends here. I had owed them a visit for so very long now. I came in sight of the village filled with colouful people and interesting homes. Their way of life was accepted by my family but I knew many rich snobs looked down upon them.

Once dismounting my horse and tying her up I saw my friends. They had seen me come through the town and hurried towards me. It was good to see them again.