Someday

Bucky Buchanan started his morning the same way he always did. He woke up, took a jog around the block, gelled his hair, and gave himself his pep talk.
"You're a star. You're the best cheerleader in this school." He smiled at himself. But something felt off. He couldn't stop thinking about Zed. He had always been taught zombies were bad, outcasts, people he should always hate. And he had always stayed away from them and didn't have to worry about it, because they had always been kept apart. But now zombies were at his school, being close to him. What if their z band broke and they tried to eat his brains? The thought made him shutter. But something about Zed made him feel different. Safe. Imagining his smile, the way he was so nice to Addison. These thoughts were so difficult for him because of his conflicting emotions. This was the biggest decision he had ever had to make. Would he let Zed on the team or not? If he did, maybe they could become friends, but Zed could turn on him and try to hurt him. If he didn't, he wouldn't risk things, but then the thoughts wouldn't stop. "BUCKY! LET'S GO!" Lacey shouted from outside.
"Coming!" He pulled on his Mighty Shrimp sequined jacket and ran out the door. "Hey you guys."
"So have you thought about tryouts? You wouldn't let a zombie on the team, would you?" Lacey said, laughing.
"Of course not." Bucky scoffed. But his brain said otherwise. "Let's go."

~

"Ah!!"
"You got in!"
"I can't believe it!"
"I can. You're amazing."
"Thank you. Oh my gosh!!!"
"What?!! I'm too scared to look."
"You got in!"
Zed listened in on the chatter as the cheerleading team list was put up. He was too scared to check. He had already not gotten on the football team, which was to be expected. Neither did Zeke. It makes sense. Zombies would never be accepted.
"Hey Zed." Addison came up from behind him. "Did you look?"
"Oh, hey, Addison. No, I didn't."
"Me either. Let's go together." She took his hand and led him to the list. "I GOT IN!!"
She jumped up and down, pulling Zed into a hug.
"Congrats." He smiled. "Now for me...holy crap. I got in." He looked at the list, stunned.

ZED NECRODOPOLIS  - Substitute

He wasn't a permanent member and he'd only go in for people when they were sick, which probably wouldn't happen much. But still. He got in. And he got in because of BUCKY. Zed couldn't believe it. He actually thought maybe they had a chance of being friends. Zed knew he wanted to be friends with him. He didn't even feel that bummed about not making the football team, which was strange.
"YAY!" She smiled. "I'm so excited. You know, we should celebrate. Ice cream after school? My treat."
"Oh, I would, but I gotta babysit my little sister, Zoe."
"Oh, okay. Well, see ya!" She skipped away. Zed felt bad he couldn't go out. He really liked Addison. But he'd make it up to her another time. He began to walk through the hallway toward his last period class, but something caught his eye. There was a figure at the end of the hall in the corner, crying. And he was wearing a sequined Mighty Shrimp jacket. Zed didn't know whether to go after him or not, but all he knew was that his heart wanted to. And he chose his heart over his brain. "Hey, Bucky." Zed came up behind him.
"Oh, hi." Bucky sniffled and wiped his eyes. "What do you want?" He snapped.
"Oh, I just wanted to say thanks for letting me on the team."
"Sure." Bucky felt a sudden rush of heat to his cheeks. "You're just a sub, you know. Barely anything. Perfect for a zombie." He didn't believe the words he just said, but he couldn't take them back.
"Yeah. Um, I gotta go."
"Be at practice at 8 am SHARP tomorrow. Or else you're off the team." Bucky tried to collect himself.
"Okay. Bye, Bucky." Zed felt hurt. He had really thought Bucky was beginning to warm up to him, and he couldn't have been more wrong. He was so rude to him. So blunt. All of his thoughts were changing. He didn't know what to do. He ran to the bathroom to get a hold of himself before the day went out.

~

Bucky looked at Zed's figure running down the hall. Why had he acted that way? So cold? He didn't want to. But he felt scared when he began to actually open up to Zed. He was going to tell him about his Mom's sickness, but he decided not to. It was better off to keep that to himself. Someday, he'd be able to tell him. Someday, they'd be more than this strange thing he didn't know how to label. Someday, if he only figured out what he was feeling.