Thief In Da Night

Start from the beginning

On my way out, Angel showed me a picture of his nephew on a soccer field. He started bragging about how many goals he scored during his school championship game. All I remembered about that conversation was the name of the school I saw on his nephew's jersey. I stored it in my mind for safekeeping. I just hoped the lil' nigga didn't graduate before the information came in handy.

That was two years ago, and according to his school's website Angel's nephew is now a senior in high school. I only know this 'cause he brought his team to another championship this year, this time as team captain. His face was plastered all over the school's website.

Since school is out for Christmas break, I had to improvise. I couldn't just snatch the kid from school, so I sent his name to some people I know. Usually Cam would handle shit like this, but now I gotta do everything myself.

A hit came back from a woman named Latoya that work in the DMV. Apparently lil' Felipe's all grown up now. He got his license this year. After promising to send a couple thousand her way, Toya gave me the address on the license. Luckily for me, the nigga wasn't smart enough to use his uncle's address.

Now Keezy and the rest of the hitters is stationed outside Felipe's house waiting on my signal. I send a quick text telling them to go with their move then I put my phone in my pocket. I pick Paryis up from the couch and carry her upstairs to her room. I crack the door on my way out. Then I head down the hall to my room.

Yuri's sitting on the bed when I open the door. She got her head all in her phone so she don't pay me no mind as I walk in. I let her do her thing since I'm on a time-limit anyway. I strip down to my boxers then I put on all-black everything: jeans, hoodie, shoes, the whole nine.

After I'm done I walk over to Yuri. I don't know if I'ma make it back tonight so I wanna' give her sum'n to remember me by. I don't have time to do what I wanna' do so I just lean in to kiss her lips, but Ri pulls back. I stand up straight.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

She looks me up and down.

"Going somewhere?" She asks.

"Yeah. I got some shit to take care of. I be back later," I say.

Yuri sits her phone in her lap.

"Can it wait? I want to talk to you," She says.

I smack my teeth and sigh. Here she go with this shit. I swear this chick got the worst timing.

"You had all day to talk to me, Ri. If you put it off this long, I think it can wait a lil' longer," I say.

"I was waiting to get a moment alone with you. I didn't wanna' take you away from yo' sister," Ri says.

"Well, we can talk when I get back. I don't have time right now," I say.

I kiss her cheek before she can start protesting. As I'm walking away, she speaks up behind me.

"I can't promise I'ma be here when you get back if we don't talk about this now," She says.

I turn around with my eyebrows furrowed.

"Where that came from?" I ask.

Ri folds her arms over her chest.

"We need to talk about what your sister said," She says.

"Who? Candyce?" I ask.

"That would be the one," She says.

"Candyce said a lot of shit. You gon' have to be more specific," I say.

"That shit she said about you being on the run from the Feds? Is it true?" Ri asks.