Part I : Chapter 5 ~ Muddy Water & Matted Hair

Start from the beginning

“Two nights since you arrived. For a time it seemed like you might never wake.” Arwen answered me promptly, crossing the room to set down a tray I hadn’t even noticed she was carrying. It held a clay jug of water, a small ceramic flask, a tall glass, and what looked like a couple of bread rolls on a plate. She set it next to me on the nightstand, plucking up the small flask and unstoppering it before handing it to me.

“My father asked that I give this to you once you’d awakened. It tastes better than it smells, I promise.”

“Your father?”

“The Lord in who’s house you currently reside.”

‘Yes, dummy, both of which you already knew. Engage your brain before you make an even bigger tit of yourself.’ My unhelpful internal voice scolded me, and I serenely ignored her.

I held the innocent little bottle experimentally up to my nose the smell was so pungent it almost enough to make me gag. Good lord, I hoped she was right. Not wanting to look childish in front of my world-be-nurse, I held my breath and gulped down the vile smelling concoction as quickly as I could. Thankfully it did taste ok, aside from being slightly too sweet. The moment the liquid touched the back of my throat, all my muscle aches and stiffness all but vanished into pleasant and relaxed warmth. Even the pounding throb in the side of my head was reduced to only a mild discomfort.

“Wow,” I coughed and eyed the empty bottle, impressed, “That’s some good stuff.”

“A mix of miruvor and some other medicinal herbs my father’s recipe.” Arwen clarified, handing me a glass of water which I gladly quenched my suddenly dry throat with, “Do you feel well enough to bathe? I imagine you would feel more comfortable in conference with the Lord of Rivendell if you were clean and appropriately dressed.”

I finished gulping down my second glass of water and wiping my mouth before looking up at her, perplexed.

“Conference with who?” I wracked my brain for the memories of when I’d read the about Rivendell in the Hobbit, and the Lord of the Rings, “You mean the Lord of Rivendell as in Lord Elrond? Lord Elrond wants to see me? Why?”

“Well, he was responsible for healing your head wound. Though all he told me was that he wished to speak with you once you were well enough.” She replied, gesturing to where my head had been throbbing earlier. 

Well, that explained why I was still alive then. I’d been sure that I’d finally gone the way of the Dodo when the river had crashed down onto me. If it really had been Lord Elrond who’d healed me, it seemed only right that I should thank him for bothering to put me back together again.

I looked dubiously down at myself. My arm had been cleaned and bandaged neatly at least, but I was still filthy, and still wearing the mud covered dress I’d been found in over a week ago.

“Yeah, I think maybe I should get clean first.”

Arwen led me to the end of a passage and into a small bathroom that was surprisingly modern compared to what I’d been expecting. Well, by modern I mean that it had running water, a mirror and a decent sized brass tub, which was good enough for me. I dazedly thanked her for her hospitality.

“You are very welcome. I will return once I have found you some suitable clothes.” She chimed with a light smile, and glided off down another passageway.

The second I’d shut the door, I ran the water as hot as I could get it, dumped an entire bottle of sweet smelling liquid into the tub, and started peeling off the tatters of my old red dress. I must have stunk something awful, because the dress was all but stuck to my body with dried sweat and mud. It took a good five minutes to get out of the damn thing, and by the time I was, the tub was almost full.