ONE

ALL EYES TURN TO NAOMI AS SHE TRUDGES INTO THE BAR, BLASTERS AT EACH HIP AND A SCOWL ON HER FACE

She shakes the melted snow from her jacket with a groan, vexed at how her damp hair clings to her neck. She can still feel the stiffness lingering in her joints from her last job as she saunters further into the bounty hunter hub.

It takes little time for her to spot guild leader, Greef Karga, sitting at his usual table. He counts credits and takes slow sips from the drink in front of him. When their eyes meet, he raises the glass in welcome.

"Ah, Naomi," he greets. He downs the rest of the glowing blue liquid before placing it on the table with a thud. "Quick work as usual."

An easy smile comes to the hunter's lips as she slides into the booth across from her boss. "What can I say? I'm that good." Her voice is friendly as she pulls out a tracking fob and pushes it across the table. Its blood-red light has burnt out, signaling another job finished.

He hums in agreement as he discards the tracker, ready to be wiped and reprogrammed for the next job. "I trust there was no trouble along the way?"

"None. I delivered the quarry straight to the warden, as requested. Now pay up."

Greef sighs as he places a couple of imperial credits in front of her. "You've gotta leave some work for the rest of the guild, you know."

She swipes the credits and stuffs them into her pocket. "Tell that to the bucket who keeps stealing my jobs."

"Who, Mando?" Greef questions. His lips twitch at the nickname she used, and he shrugs. "He's a fast worker, like you."

Naomi rolls her eyes and looks at her boss squarely. "He always takes the top-paying jobs. A girl's gotta eat."

He lets out a laugh. "What can I say? He's got an appetite."

A scoff falls from her lips as she leans back into the booth, ankles crossing under the table. "He's an asshole," she corrects. She can still remember the warmth she felt bloom in her chest the first time she saw him, with the sharp contours of his helmet and impenetrable black visor over his eyes. The first Mandalorian she saw in years. She can also remember how quickly that warmth turned ice cold when her paycheck began to dwindle. "I need my next job, Greef."