SIX

NAOMI CLUNG TO THE CHILD AS THE MANDALORIAN AND KUIIL BEGAN THE REPAIRS ON THE RAZOR CREST

Over the years, she had determined it best to leave the mechanics up to more... skilled hands. She was always better apt at destruction than creation. So, she sat idly by, plenty satisfied with serving as a mascot while the two of them went to work.

The child rested in her lap, wrapped securely in her arms as she set camp in the main hull, careful to stay out of the Ugnaught's way as she slept. The outer body had been among the first repaired, providing ample resting space for the hunter and small child.

Dawn came too soon and the Razor Crest's repairs were all but finished. Naomi was startled awake when one of the engines roared to life.

She looked down to find the child still sleeping soundly in her lap. Her arms tightened around him as she brought him protectively into her chest to further cocoon herself around him. He had yet to wake up, still exhausted from whatever power he'd used to protect them.

Naomi's thoughts troubled her as she remembered yesterday's events. The thought of surrendering the kid seemed to weigh even heavier on her shoulders now that she and the Mandalorian were technically in his debt. He had saved their lives and seemed to suffer for it. How could she abandon him now?

She was pulled out of her troubling thoughts when the second engine roared to life, signaling the completion of the Crest's repairs.

"I cannot thank you enough," she heard the Mandalorian say as he and Kuiil emerged from the cockpit. "Please, allow me to give you a portion of the reward."

Naomi's grip tightened around the child. A small part of her had hoped the Mandalorian would second guess himself as much as she, but it died when those words left his helmet.

"I cannot accept," Kuiil denied the offer. "You are my guest, and I am therefore in your service."

A small smile came to Naomi's lips at the Ugnaught's kindness. She would miss his company dearly once they left.

A beat of silence passed as the Mandalorian's thoughts seem to mirror hers. "I could use a crew member of your ability and I can pay handsomely."

"I am honored," Kuiil responded. "But I have worked a lifetime to finally be free of servitude."