NINE

HOURS PASS AFTER THE TRIOS' DARING ESCAPE FROM THE HUNTER-INFESTED PLANET

Naomi sat silently, basking in the fact that they'd made it out alive. She had nearly forgotten the wounds she so bravely won, numbed by the heavy flow of adrenaline that burned through her veins. But, as her high began to fade, she was met with the searing pain of blaster wounds. Tentative fingers pulled apart the singed fabric of her bicep and carefully revealed the damage underneath. An angry red gash marred the tanned surface, swollen and welted where her skin had charred. It matched the wound adorning her cheek and she experimentally pressed her thumb to the bloody site. Her face twisted immediately as she tore her hand away, letting out a small yelp that set her singed cheek aflame with pain.

Mando's seat turned a beat later, helmet tilting as he looked away from the child. The small being didn't seem to notice as his three-fingered hands continued fiddling with the random buttons. "How bad?" Mando asked, voice remaining impassive.

"Not terrible, but I can't get a good look," Naomi answered honestly. Her teeth clenched together as each word burned through the contours of her face.

The Mandalorian was standing before she could finish. He pushed himself out of his seat, cape hanging loosely over his shoulder as he stepped toward her. She couldn't help the nervous twinge in her throat when he fell into a careful crouch at her side. His helmet tilted as he caught the singed fabric on her arm. He reached for it but stopped, gloved hand hovering just above the wound. "May I?"

Naomi swallowed. "Sure."

She remained impressively still as he pulled apart the damaged fabric, carefully assessing the singed skin underneath. Stray threads pulled at the wound, dried in blood and a hiss tumbled from her lips. Mando's head snapped up, hands freezing when he saw the flash of pain in her eyes.

"It's fine," she assured him. Her eyes met his visor as she twisted her arm towards him to allow easier access. "Keep going."

Mando kept his eyes on her, watching her jaw tighten as he pulled the rest of the fabric away. He surveyed the damage carefully, running his gloved thumb along the charred edges. Orange rubber was stained red when he got a bit too close and she exhaled shakily, suppressing the urge to flinch.