SEVEN

NAOMI'S SHOULDERS DROPPED AN INCH WHEN SHE WAS FINALLY FREED FROM THE CLIENT'S DEN

She released the swirl of air she had trapped in her lungs when the door locked behind her, leaving her alone on the sandy streets of Nevarro.

Her eyes narrowed when she reached for her chest, creasing the fabric around the two heavy bars of steel in her pocket. The client's words echoed in her mind.

"It will be our little secret."

Naomi scowled as she kicked the sand, sending a spray of lava rock into the wall. She cursed the client, rekindling old wounds and fueling her hatred for the empire. She had half the mind to storm the place then, taking the child and killing anyone who dare tried to stop her.

The foolish idea was crushed when she heard heavy footfalls in the sand. The Mandalorian walked towards her, his camtono swinging at his side.

"I thought you'd be long gone by now," she said. She was surprised to see him, figuring he left now that the job was finished. "Or did you not want to leave me so soon?" Her voice was teasing as she looked into his visor and her own pearly smile reflected back at her.

He didn't bother to answer her question, instead replying with one of his own. "Why did you refuse the beskar?" Her stubborn rejection of the steel payment had confused him. He had planned to leave, not even bothering to say goodbye, when he suddenly found himself back in this godforsaken alleyway with a single question weighing on his mind. Any other bounty hunter would have taken the beskar prize gladly, relishing in the riches it would bring.

Naomi's smile faltered when the question left his helmet. "Beskar belongs with Mandalorians. Not in the hands of some bounty hunter."

It was hardly the answer he expected and only left him with more questions.

"However," She continued, "my good morals don't go far enough for me to take no prize at all." The Mandalorian watched curiously as she reached into her pocket, pulling the two bars of steel she'd been gifted.