Vrylle was so crept out and ran faster away from him. Then, when she saw a cab, she railed it so immediately and hopped in, asking the driver to drive faster because some crazy bastard was after her.

So as the driver drove fast just like she said, Vrylle finally sigh with relief and slumped her back on the seat.

"To where kid?" The driver asked, the tone of his voice was soothing.

"St. Aguilos High, please. And thanks for what you did. That saves me."

The teenage girl was being serious when she said those words. Unexpectedly, she heard the driver chuckled, seemingly entertained of some sort, which Vrylle just shrugged it off. Minutes of driving on the road later, they arrived at school, pay him, then she slid out of the cab.

"Haa! Finally! My sanctuary!"

Vrylle chirped, then made her way to her classroom so easily and quickly without breaking a sweat to a throng of students crowded the corridors so early in the morning.

Well, navigating and squeezing herself to the crowd were an easy thing for her since she was used to it.

"Got a bad morning, I guess?" Myne, her seatmate, commented as she neared her seat next to her.

"...Obviously." Vrylle answered briefly after she settled on her seat. Minutes later, their homeroom teacher arrived, continuing the discussion they have had yesterday.

To be more honest, Vrylle wished the lesson of every subject to prolonged since spending more hours at school was way better rather than staying in their house with her family even for just a second.

'Please... make this hell of a cycle in my life change!'

Time passed by, then the bell rang indicating for their break time, and as usual, Vrylle headed to her usual place, enjoying the moment of silence while eating and reading.

That usual place was the greenhouse. 

It was the place that she held dearly, not just because of its beauty, but also because it was the only place where she could be with that guy.

The guy who accepts her for who she was.

A guy who is willing to aid her.

She likes him, and he said he likes her too, which Vrylle's certain that he was telling the truth.

'Geez, Beel, you taking long.'

Just simply thinking about him made Vrylle impatient. The twenty minutes break was not really enough if she became honest to herself.

However, Vrylle knew the circumstances of the guy she loves. That being a librarian gave him too much of trouble. Let alone she knew it very well how busy he was since the library never ran out of students, which was always so crowded and leaving her no room to squeeze herself in.

Ranking second in entire school isn't helping her either to mingle with the crowd since a lot of students were aiming to pull her down to that spot, glaring at her as if she was an eyesore.

Their reasoning for that treatment?

They believed she didn't deserve that spot for being the only 'lowly scholar' attending the school. A very cliche excuse for brats.

'Really... What a bullshit reasoning those bunch of fools had.'

Still, Vrylle couldn't blame them for having such a malicious mind knowing St. Aguilos was an academic private school and was famous for genius students and excellent teachings. It was understandable to aim a high rank, or be at least in a top fifty.

Though it really wasn't her fault if she is a bit smarter than them.

'Bunch of idiots. I want to spoon their eyes out or sew their damn lips. Status in life does not defy one's knowledge for Pete's sake!'

The fluctuation of emotion Vrylle started to feel forced her to take few deep breaths. When she felt somewhat calm, she took a sip of her favourite lemon milk shake then leafed through the next page of the book, refocusing her attention.

The book she was reading entitled 'Into the Horizon'. A poetic and historical novel. The book was thick and had five hundred pages, yet now only two pages were left, and she was nearing the ending.

Fortunately, the book had a second volume, and Vrylle was ecstatic to borrow the second book.

'Into the Horizon' was a great novel, the plot twist, the characters, the scenery, and every poem from it brought tears and also joys to her soul. The history, drama and romance were also very captivating. Especially the second male lead's death scene that really broke her heart.

'Haa. That goddamn author truly knows how to play with the readers' emotions.'

Vrylle loves the novel indeed, but she kind of disliked the author for mercilessly killing the character she likes for the heroine. After all Isaac did, there was no justice for his death. It was unfair.

'Wait, what, unfair?'

Vrylle then scoffed of her naive thinking before putting her melon milk shake down then leafed through another page again. Eyes following each words on the text, a sudden vibration activated her senses, feeling the ground beneath her feet vibrated.

'Earthquake?! Shit! It's dangerous in here!'

Vrylle bent down immediately with her hands covering her head. Hastily yet carefully getting herself out of the place, she lost balance before she did so and fell over as the shaking happening from the ground intensify.

Then, from above her as she lifted her face up the roof, a blinding light blocked her vision... and from there, darkness claimed her sight and quickly spread out, leaving her no room to analyse the situation more as she felt numb all over.

'Damn. This is what being unfair truly means. But I don't want to die. Not yet.'

Author has something to say:
This story was revised twice, deleted, and now republished. Sorry for the past reading inconvenience. 🤓