Five - The Other Side

Five

Diana's P.O.V (Recap of 2-3)

I woke in a soft bed. I groaned. My head hurt. There was someone breathing near me. I turned my head towards the sound of it and opened my eyes. Everything was blurry. There was a person sitting in a chair just next to my bed. He was wearing a plain white t-shirt. His hair was a mix of blond and brown.

That's weird, I thought, it looks like he had blond hair then it started to grow in brown. "What's with your hair?" I was about to ask, but he started talking.

"It's Okay. You got knocked out and are at the hospital," he stood up while he talked.

That doesn't explain why your hair is like that, I thought.

But he was moving to the door already.

He continued what he'd been saying, "Just a sec while I get the nurse to tell her you're awake." He smiled at me and was about to leave the room.

"Wait!" I called.

"Yeah?" He sounded surprised.

I was about to ask about his hair. But now that seemed like a silly question, it was obviously dyed. But now I wondered who this boy in my room was. Why was he here? I didn't remember him from anywhere. Actually, once I thought about it, I didn't remember much of anything. A million questions filled my mind.

I decided to start simple, "Who are you?" A nice simple question. I wanted his name. But then before he could answer, another, more urgent question came to me, "Who am I?"

I couldn't remember my name. It was a strange feeling, not knowing who I was. I expected him to have a quick answer and tell me my name and everything else would come back to me. But he didn't.

"Aren't you a fan?" he asked. I glanced at my bedside table where there was a fan, in case I got hot, I guess. A fan? This boy needed to be in this bed. Instead of me, I mean! Not with me! Never mind... A fan? How could I be a fan? I was clearly a girl. Right? I glanced down at myself. Yes, I was a human girl. Then how could I be a fan? Fan... there was another kind of fan. A fan as in someone who likes something. That must be what he was asking me. Why didn't I think of that first? I felt like my brain was a snail. Everything was still waking up and getting going.

"A fan of what?" I asked.

He looked taken aback.

"I'll just go get the nurse."

He avoided my question. He poked his head out the door and called, "She's awake!" Someone said something back but I couldn't hear it.

A woman came into view. She and the boy had a short exchange before she entered to room alone. She was very prompt and asked a million questions which she expected me to answer just as fast. It was making my head spin! I hadn't realized the boy had come back into the room until he started laughing. It was a cute laugh and even better, it interrupted the nurse's questions.

"I don't-!" he started but almost immediately stopped. "What's wrong?" He asked, sounding concerned. He and the nurse went to the hall. Oh no! What did I do?

About a minute later a doctor came in and asked more questions, explained why I couldn't remember anything, and assured me I'd be fine. She left and a few minutes later the blond came back. He looked really put out now. I chatted with him for a bit and found out his name was Niall. He was in some band called 'One Direction'. I felt like the name should mean something to me but I couldn't put my finger on it. He told me what had happened in more detail. Then his phone dinged with a text. He sighed.