Chapter One

CHAPTER ONE: BIT-HOT

To burn with desire and keep quiet about it is the greatest punishment we can bring on ourselves. 
-Federico García Lorca

I've never been someone's go to person, the one that is their number one, I've never been their best friend. I thought my twin was at one point but then I realized Circe just treated me like I was supposed to be protected. I could tell her anything but she didn't tell me enough for me to be her best friend.

I've always been on the top of the 'Need To Help' list but I've never been someone's first priority.

It's a weird moment to realize you're carrying your high school's football team to finals but still get picked last in gym. I've always been the odd one out, you know -the third wheel to every pair. Maybe it's meant to be that way.

Maybe I'm meant to be second best.

But that's okay because unlike high school, in college the only thing you're expected to be is a student.

In college you don't have to be somebody to somebody important, you just have to be there.

Of course there's still the popular kids, the jocks that throw parties, the weird kids, the drama kids, the history buffs and the teacher pets but there wasn't that astigmatism to have to be a certain thing.

Yet you'll still find that people will judge you.

Most people won't respect you for being a person until you've proven you're useful to them.

In college, you're expected to disappoint a lot of people through the decisions you make, even if they won't tell you that.

Every morning since fifth grade I would wake up a five in the morning and not even half an hour later, I'd go on a run. It's something that helps me get all the nerves out for the day and something I practiced doing whenever my tics would get really bad.

This morning was no different.

But this morning I woke up in a new place and I felt more out of control than I have in a really long time so I kept the same shorts and tank top I fell asleep and took to running as fast as I could.

I was home before I realized I left my phone at my dorm, which I'm pretty sure I left unlocked.

Purely based on the fact I look like a rich twink, I know this isn't a good thing.

Another reason it's not a good thing is because when I open the door without knocking or unlocking it, my roommate flinches on the other side.

And there Jasper Red stands.

Glad in grey sweatpants.

Muscles tensed by his surprised, minty eyes locked onto me. He's tall, he's built -meaning he's strong and must spend half his time working out outside given how tan he is.

Oh my god, why is he in college when he could make good money being a model.

Suddenly, I realize that I'm flushed when my hands shake out but I can't do anything to stop myself from being so red.

"Hey." Jazz says, breaking me from my thoughts with a smile. "Were you on a run or something?"

"Yes." I growl and become flustered by both my own disability and his hotness which sends one of my tics off as I say "Bit hot innit?" in a British accent.

He blinks at me, minty eyes flicking between my eyes.

This entire thing must be...it must be really weird for him, I decide.