"Leave her alone Roman." A coarse, feminine voice interrupted.

Both looked to where the female approached and it quickly disbanded that rather intrusive encounter. Roman backed away, feigning innocence in those espresso eyes. He even had the nerve to smile. The once rigid contours of his square jaw eased, creating a countenance that invited warmth.

"We were just talking, weren't we? You have nothing to worry about, Sloane. I wasn't planning on messing things up for your little date."

The way he skirted around the situation and didn't give Ele a moment to answer was proof enough. Plus, he tried switching topics. She feared his shape-shifting abilities.

Sloane nodded her head and sarcastically replied, "Mmm, I'll believe you aren't a conniving lowlife the day I see a faenix and a vampire mate. Because it'll never happen."

When she said those final words, Sloane's eyes bore down onto the meek faenix girl in front of her. She had a solid few inches on the girl, not to mention she looked weak, even for a faenix. And a mute... She couldn't possibly be a threat.

Kaanan was just coming into view, just finishing the trek back up to the top of the cliffs, and looked ready to jump again. Until he spotted Ele surrounded by the two people he prayed wouldn't sink their claws, or words, into her innocent soul.

"Ah, Sloane! Roman! Sorry for not introducing you to Ele sooner-" When he mentioned the faenix's name, they both grimaced and Ele shuffled uncomfortably. Introductions had taken place and not been good. "Roman, I think you're up next. Better go now before Sandros takes your place."

As if the cold creature inches away from Ele gave a care about cliff diving. He seemed to have different priorities being here...

She had to know what his problem was so, without caring about Sloane's presence, she signed freely.

'Who was that?' She questioned.

"My cousin," Kaanan answered aloud, scratching the back of his neck. "Sorry about him. He has poor manners and a royalty complex. He gets that from his mother. They think my... Time being sick means I'm unfit for the throne."

'No need to apologize. I could just tell something was off about him.'

"Okay, talk as if I'm not here." Sloane had been standing there idly, looking between the two and only guessing what Ele was signing based on the response.

Kaanan clasped his hands and beamed at the sour-toned girl. "And this is another one of my cousins, Sloane. She gets her personality from my mother's arrogant side of the family and the fact that she doesn't have any friends. Isn't that right?"

Sloane acted faster than anyone could've predicted and punched Kaanan square in his arm. It was a fast jab but one that had force behind it. He pretended it didn't faze him by shaking it out with a smile but, when he walked away to join the boys, Ele could see him rubbing it and rolling his shoulder back to ease the pain.

That left her and- Oh.

Sloane went back to sitting and watching while leaning against a tree but this time went much farther to put more distance between them. Roman mentioned not interrupting her 'date' yet she wasn't with anyone here.

Maybe a crush on one of the guys then?

Ele muddled this in her head while watching the line of boys, one by one, jump into the murky waters. As the day went on, the sun hid behind the mountains, and the water became harder to see into.

She could only trust that the friends made sure each one came up from the water just fine.

It seemed, after a while, things were winding down and the boys talked more between jumps and wanted to catch up. Soon they'd be leaving to return home and Ele would be damned if she didn't attempt a cliff dive.