42.5. Worthy of Love

Back to the year when the Darkest Winter ended

Thethia: Royal Palace, Dining Hall

Finneas

"Finneas, how's everything?"

Elizabeth requested for him to dine with her and she rarely did that unless she had something important or ominous to tell him. Considering that the most forbidding tragedy finally passed and Thethia had been peaceful since the years she took the crown, the news she was about to break to him may not be so bad. He stared at the huge mahogany table ahead of him as he picked up his fork and knife, answering as he cut the piece of meat on his plate, "All is well, the injured soldiers were well taken care of and Tavion had everything in place. There wasn't much I had to do."

"Okay," Elizabeth nodded, seemingly listless but she went silent without another word.

He noticed that her russet-brown eyes remained fixed on the two tall, silver candelabras placed in the centre of the table — the elaborate silverware that was holding smooth white candles whose wax never dripped. Her food remained untouched and she seemed to be too bothered by her own thoughts to notice that he was staring at her all along. Worried, he asked, "Liz, are you alright?"

At the sound of her name, she snapped into attention again and refocused her gaze on him. She fumbled a little with her words as she replied, "Y-Yes, I am."

"Not convincing enough, sugar," Finneas shook his head. "Tell me what's on your mind."

"Fin..." she called him his nickname. It had been long enough since she called him that and the worry he felt in his heart was skipping up a notch. Her voice kept falling softer with each word but he caught everything that was spoken through the quiet air. Out of pure shock, he dropped his fork and it clanked noisily against his plate. Elizabeth had proposed, "If I were to ask, will you marry me?"

"Liz, what—"

"You can reject, definitely. It's not an order, Fin. I was just asking, you know?" Elizabeth waved her hands frantically in the air, her russet-brown eyes already held so much insecurities and hurt that it pained him to see her forcing a smile.

Finneas placed the utensil on his other hand down and shifted in his seat to face the lady seated adjacent to him. Elizabeth hesitated but faced him eventually, she had a slight frown pinched between her brows and her lips were trembling a little from her own nervousness. Finneas began, "Elizabeth, I would take your hand in marriage without a single doubt."

There was uncertainty in her eyes and he wanted to correct that, Finneas continued, "I just want you to know and realise this yourself: you are worthy of love, Elizabeth. Don't let yourself or others tell you otherwise."

"But—"

"Hush," Finneas cut in before she could even start. "Nothing you say would change the way I feel for you, so save it."