Chapter 49: Floating lights

"Hurry!" My vision was blurry as we ran over the pavement, through the brushes and patches of flowers with my dress flowing behind me. Wind swirling through our hairs, tears appearing in our eyes as we seemingly floated over the surface. The Valerian beverages made my steps lighter, my head feeling like it was amongst the clouds and giving everything a tingling feeling. The skin that was pressed against Obi-Wan's hand felt like it had electricity constantly running through it, only feeding into the adrenaline that was coursing through me.

I felt careless. As light as a feather, drifting through a soft breeze, never touching the ground. My feet were aching because of the dancing yet I didn't feel a thing. We'd left the feast when we thought nobody was watching us, slipping through the oblivious crowd and into the gardens. The sounds of drunken laughter and clanging of tableware reached far through the city, yet here in the middle of nature it somehow seemed to die down. It was almost peaceful, had it not been for me dragging Obi-Wan behind me and trying my best to supress the chuckles to the point that my chest hurt.

"Princess!" He scolded, tripping over his own feet as he ran after me. We neared the first gate to the royal gardens, attached to a wall to keep any outsiders from entering. Smiling to myself, knowing they were changing the guard at this exact moment I dragged him through the gates.

When I saw one coming our way in the corner of my eyes, I quickly tugged on his tunic forcefully, pulling him behind the corner and forcing myself up against the wall as my heart seemed to stop beating all together.

"We have got to stop meeting like this." Obi-Wan let out a deep breath and smiled smugly, staring down at me as he placed both his hands against the cold stone beside my head. He clearly hadn't noticed the guard coming our way and was enjoying this more than he should be.

Quickly pressing my finger against his lips to silence him my body stilled. I could feel the warmth of his chest radiating off his body, making my head spin with thoughts I shouldn't be having. Even though I was aware of the imminent danger, I couldn't help but look deeply into his eyes, seeing the different shades of blue melt together.

I could almost hear the sound of the ocean as I felt myself drift away further. The sound of the guard's boots on the floor coming closer didn't in the least pull me back to reality as I glanced down, my finger soon tracing his bottom lip absent minded.

Obi-Wan silenced straight away, staring hard into my eyes and leaning in closer. He lowered his own hand down to the side of my face, his thumb softly caressing my jaw and lifting my head up so I'd look into his eyes. His blue eyes were twinkling with a mischievous glint and his skin was pale in the moonlight. The red blush covering his cheeks, be it from the alcohol or something else, gave him a warmer glow and eased the growing restlessness inside me.

"I swear I saw someone over here." A hard voice suddenly distorted the peace, making me glance aside to see only the back of his armor standing dangerously close. The blue drape covering his back waved slightly in the evening wind and into my vision.

"Sven, for Odin's sake." Another gruffly grumbled, his hard footsteps coming closer. "Everyone is enjoying the feast except for us. At least try to be a little less annoying." Just like that his footsteps were disappearing into the distance. Sven, however, remained in place. My eyes were locked onto the blue silk, hoping that he wouldn't turn around and see us.

Obi playfully rolled his eyes but then focussed on me again, running his hand through my hair and carefully pulling on it to redirect my gaze back to his. I enjoyed it way more than I should have. A whimper escaped my lips at the mere force he used, my eyes widening immediately in both embarrassment and fear when our eyes connected again. He too seemed dumbfounded for a minute, still not fully understanding the effect he had on me.