n i n e | scars and unknown

Chipmunk did look back

   Running on the empty street filled with silence and nothingness, a nightmare that he did not want to face was chasing him from behind. Visions flashed in front of his eyes, making him dazed. A piece of him seemed to be washed away by time, by a deep cut buried under his chest. He felt like a beautiful puzzle, but a piece of it was removed. The hole on the puzzle stored his misery, stored his hopelessness, stored his desire for light.

   Tear blurred his version as he glanced at the familiar street, the place where he had grown up in. Leaping among trash cans, sniffing for extra food, the smell of the alleyway was nasty, but it felt like home. He belonged there, belonged to the busy street filled with humans who were too busy to spare Chipmunk a glance. It... just felt right. Everything had been in order. He was not an innocent kittypet who knew nothing more than playing and enjoying his life. He seemed like a criminal, with a clan coming after him, even though, as far as he remembered, he did nothing wrong.

   Most importantly, he always hoped kits would always be kits, but he was not a kit anymore.

   Reality hit him like a car racing past a red light at full speed. The light ordered reality to stop, but reality disobeyed. Facing the reality in front of him, voices spoke in the darkest part of his nightmare. Nightmare or reality? He did not know anymore.

   The gunshot. He remembered the sound of the gunshot. The gunshot woke the beast inside of him. He could not bring himself to think of the lifeless body of Cheese-It, lying in the pool of blood. She died protecting him. Protecting the stubborn 'him' who caused her a lot of trouble. He could feel the same bullet that was shot into her weak body pierced through his heart, leaving a burning sensation in his throat.

   If he was the one who died following his destiny, it would have been better for every cat.

   He could not dwell in one place for too long. Cheese-It told him before, "The city at night is filled with dangers. Be careful." He could not believe how this random advice of Cheese-It could help him at such an important time. He tried to wear a smile to cover his misery, even though his tears that were dripped on his fur had not even dried.

   As he walked confidently on the street, keeping a cautious eye on the surroundings, he knew he was breaking on the inside. The soul inside him was slipping away before he could even grab hold of it before he could even treasure the existence of it.

   The world silently waited, all that could be heard was his breath and his nervous heartbeat. Glancing back at the emptied street one last time, he knew that he would never step another step into his former home.

   He left his childhood on this very street, in this very house.

   And he was not planning on going back.

   Continuing his journey alone on this very road, he felt empty. His emotions were poured and all it left was his empty shell. A piece of him was left here. He was not completed anymore.