t e n | claw marks and invitation

Chipmunk had always imagined the scenario of him meeting his father, even though the chance of it happening was ever so slightly

   Chipmunk had always imagined the scenario of him meeting his father, even though the chance of it happening was ever so slightly. The imaginary life-changing moment took place in the crowded city of humans, but nothing could possibly take his eyes off the running figure of his father towards him. He had run through the dialogues of their possible conversation repetitively in his mind, coming up with smart comebacks in response to his years of abandonment. After he expressed his anger, Chipmunk would tell him that his life was lonely without his father and wanted him to stay, no matter what he did in the past which was so unforgivable.

   But never had he ever prepared for this.

   He felt exposed in this small cave as his father's bright green gaze landed on his small figure, searching for something. The small tom shifted nervously in the shadows, feeling uncomfortable with the silence that was filled inside the limited space. Glancing up into the pair of sharp green eyes that shimmered with something that Chipmunk did not understand, he never expected the first meeting to be... so awkward.

   "Falcon," Sika's calm voice broke the tense atmosphere as she continued, "Do you want to have a private talk with your son?"

   Blinking his eyes, Falconshadow shook his head slowly. He twitched his tail behind his back and introduced himself with a smile, "You may not know me but I am Falcon, who is also known as Falconshadow... and I am your father."

   "Um, nice to meet you, fa-Falcon," Chipmunk greeted his father but the word 'father' seemed to be stuck inside his throat. He found it... weird to actually use that word that had been buried in his mind for long.

   Falcon's smile hardened on his face. Instead of continuing the uncomfortable conversation, his glance shifted towards the taller she-cat behind Chipmunk. He questioned with a light tone, "Who is that cat? Your friend, son?"

   Chipmunk did not really understand how Falcon could throw the word 'son' around so easily when he could not even bring up the nerves to call Falcon 'father'. He nodded in response and introduced, "She is Rise, my friend. We were out on an adventure and we met Sika. Then, we were brought here."

   Falcon smiled warmly as Rise greeted him with a low voice that was hardly audible. He expressed his gratitude to Sika for bringing the two to meet him. Then, he returned to the conversation with a causal question and a friendly smile, "So, where is your home currently?"

   Feeling the weight of Rise's glance on his back, he tried to come up with the answer to Falcon's question. He technically had a home, but it was a home that contained too many sad memories for him to return.

   "You know, you can join us. We are the Outlaws. There is and always will be always a spot here for you," Falcon broke the awkward silence, "and your friend if you want to." He quickly added after taking a breath. His eyes stayed briefly on Rise, then looked right into Chipmunk's yellow ones. The depth in his green ones welcomed the small cat, showing affection towards Chipmunk who always wanted it.