Chapter 8: Small reunion

Sokka's POV

To say that it was a shock to see Katara was a bit of an understatement. Personally, I thought I was hallucinating at first, but as my eyes adjusted and I jolted out of my trance I came to the conclusion that Katara and Aang were back in the palace. She seemed fine, and looked essentially the same as when she left. Aang on the other hand had a certain edge to his expression that I couldn't quite put my finger on. He was also sporting some of my old clothing, and I have to say he didn't look that bad. "Katara, what in spirits name are you doing here?" I whispered, still rather stunned by the situation. She cleared her throat and beamed at me, clearly excited about something, while Aang's face grew slightly more unsettled. "We came here to talk to dad, and do some light reading." She gave Aang a nudge. He grimaced but nodded in agreement with her. "Although I'm not fond of the plan, once Katara has her mind set on something it's hard to pull her away." He admitted.

She wanted to talk to dad? The same dad who had been on the brink of insanity ever since she left? The same dad who would be arriving in a few hours from searching for her so he could bring me to the north to be married? That dad? Oh sure, what could go wrong. 

"Katara," I started "Dad's been a little different since you went away." I really wasn't sure how to explain to her the strain that had been put on the castle since she'd left. "Psh, how different could he be? I'm still his daughter, after all." She said, getting up from the bed. "Where is he anyway?" 

Aang was right, she was nothing if not persistent. 

"He's been out looking for you, but he should be here at dawn to take me to the north for the wedding." She squirmed as I said the word wedding. I could tell she was still feeling guilty about the whole situation. Aang put a hand on her shoulder, and she glanced to look back at him. 

"Katara, it's not worth it. He'll kill me if he finds out about us." He reasoned. And he was right about that, Dad enforced the elemental laws with rigor. He might go so far as to have Aang executed. 

Aang's POV

She looked at Sokka and I as if we had just committed murder, her mouth agape. "How could you both say those things about him?" She hissed, pushing my hand off her shoulder. "He's not crazy, and he's not some cold-hearted tyrant either!" Sokka just shook his head at her, a look of pity towards his sister plastered across his face. "You can talk to him Katara, I won't stop you. But I'm warning you, he's not the same." She sneered at him and then turned her attention back to me, staring me down with her dark blue eyes. I stared back, willing her to not say what I already knew she was going to. "We're going to talk to him." She deadpanned before turning to look back at her brother. 

I should've never agreed in the first place. 

Several Hours Earlier...

"We're gonna confront my father."

"Haha Katara, nice one," I said, rolling my eyes at her. She grabbed my face with her hands and pulled my head close to hers, her eyes narrowed. 

"It wasn't a joke." She stated coldly. "I miss my family, and I don't wanna hide my relationship with you any longer than I have to." She gave me a quick peck on the lips before pulling away to nibble on some more rice. "So, we're gonna give ourselves up as lawbreakers and fugitives...only to most likely be separated and /or killed? " I replied as she cleaned out her bowl. "No silly, of course not. I think we can find some sort of loophole in the elemental laws due to you being..." She paused, and I was able to connect the dots. "The Avatar." I finished.

She gave me a sympathetic look and nodded. "Yup." 

"I-I don't know about this Katara," I said timidly.  "What if it doesn't change anything. Nobody has seen the Avatar in years, and nobody really believes in him, or me, or whatever." I stuttered. "What if it doesn't help?"

"P-Please Aang."  She shivered as a harsh wind blew into the cave. "I know my father, he wouldn't do anything to hurt us."  I pulled her close as another strong gust flew in. She nuzzled her face into the crook of my neck and I wrapped the blanket around us as it had been before. 

"Fine." 

Present 

"His boat docks in the morning," Sokka grumbled. "Stay in this room. I'll come to get you when it's time." 

Katara's POV

Although I was mad at him, I felt awful. He had been left alone to take on the responsibility of the heir, while I had been galavanting around breaking the law with Aang. The room was filled with an awkward silence. I sat back down on the bed and sighed. I'd have to make things right with Sokka later, for the time being I had other matters to attend to. "I'm sorry for snapping at you," I said, turning to gaze at Aang. 

"You're stressed," He shrugged. "We all are." 

"Yeah but-" He shushed me and scooted closer. "Katara it's alright. I'm not going to be mad if you get angry at me every once and a while, that's just life." I smiled. Even under immense pressure, his ideals remained the same. I rested my head on his shoulder.

 "I don't deserve you." I whispered as he stroked my hair. "You deserve more than I could ever give you." he chuckled. "And what can you give me good sir?" I giggled as he brought his face closer to mine. "Well princess, lets find out." I let out a small peep as he smothered my neck in kisses, before sealing the deal on my lips. I'd never get used to how good he made me feel. 

The next morning

The creak of the door woke me up with a jolt. I groggily sat up, blinking slowly to adjust my eyes to the soft light of the early morning sun. Sokka was standing in the doorwayand Aang was sprawled out on the bed next to me, heavily asleep. Sokka made his way over to the bed and stuck a finger in my face. "You're sleeping with him?" He wispered furiously. "No sokka," I yawned. "We just shared the bed." He didn't seem to be satisfied with that answer, but he let it go. I gently shook Aangs shoulder. "Aang, we need to get going," I said softly. He stirred slightly before sitting up next to me, rubbing his eyes. "Mornin'," He said while stretching his arms. Sokka narrowed is eyes at him before clearing his throat.

 "Get ready as fast as you can,"

 "Dad's ship should be here in less than an hour." 

______________________________________________________

Happy new year! Sorry for such a long wait. I'm going to try my hardest to actually post more.

It may or may not happen, but it's one of my new years resolutions so we'll see :) 

Hopefully you all had a wonderful holiday, 

I love you all so much!