Chapter 2: Midnight meetings

Katara's POV

As I watched Aang glide off into the distance my heart felt as if it might explode. I had a friend. I walked back into my room and shut my balcony doors. The sun had fully risen and there wasn't any point in going back to bed, so I threw on some fresh clothes and brushed my hair. As I made my way down to the dining hall I couldn't help but smile. The thought of seeing Aang again tonight made my heart race. What would we talk about? Would he take me flying again? Maybe he would take me to see his animals! 

I sat down next to Sokka, and he seemed to notice my change in moods from the other day. "What's up with you?" he asked curiously. "Oh, w-well," I stuttered; "I just found a new book I want to read and I'm very excited." I could sense his suspicion, but he didn't challenge me on my answer so I assumed he really didn't care all that much. My father smiled at me. "I'm glad to see you're  feeling better Katara." he said in between bites. "What's your book about?"  I quickly racked my brain for an answer. "Oh, its just about animals native to the south." I replied. "Sounds interesting." he stated before turning back to his meal. I quickly finished eating and headed off to the washroom. 

I began to draw a bath for myself, as I hadn't bathed in a day or two. Soaking in the warm water, I began to swirl my fingers around, causing the water to follow my actions. If only It wasn't forbidden, than I could be an incredible bender. Maybe Aang could help me, he seemed to be a very skilled bender himself, he might have some helpful tips.  I made a mental note to ask him that night.  

Aang's POV

I landed by the cave just as the sun had fully risen. I couldn't believe Katara warmed up to me so fast. She was kind and funny and I was excited to see her again tonight. As I headed into the cave I saw that Appa and Momo were still asleep. Not wanting to disturb them, I quietly set my staff down and began to unpack my things. I pulled out my sleeping bag and a wave of exhaustion hit me. I snuggled up next to Appa and I immediately drifted off into a deep sleep. 

~several hours later~

I woke up in a cold sweat. My sleep had been fitful, and all I had dreamt about was going back home.  All the guilt I had about leaving the Air Temple began to flood my brain. I put my head in my hands. Had I made a mistake? Tears began to flow from my eyes as I thought about my friends and mentors I had left behind. If I decided to go back, would they even want me? Thoughts were swimming through my head and I couldn't compose myself. Sniffling I rummaged through my bag, pulling out a stick of incense. I rested my back on Appa and allowed the smells and the smoke to envelope me. I then remembered Katara. I could feel myself start to smile. I could talk to her about my problems, she seemed to understand me. We had some sort of connection, like two pieces of the same puzzle. The thought of seeing her again tonight made the plague of negative thoughts in my head subside.  

I put out the incense and looked out of the cave. The sun was just about to set. I changed out of my clothes and put on some fresh robes. I didn't need layers, I was taught to control my body heat by the monks. As the sun lowered in the sky, I pulled out a book and began to read to pass the time.

Katara's POV

As I sat on my bed and watched the sun set, I could feel a pair of eyes on me. I turned around to see Sokka standing outside my open door. He walked into the room and sat next to me on my bed. "You've been suspiciously happy all day." He said while eyeing me curiously. "I've just found something to keep me from going crazy while I'm locked in this castle." I replied dryly. He seemed to back off after I said that. 

Sokka had all the freedom he wanted, all because he was a man, and dad thought he could protect himself better than I could. He could leave the castle, practice fighting, and go around town all he wanted. While he was out living it up, I remained in my room for most of my day. He spoke up again. "Well, that book can't be the that's making you this happy." he stated, awaiting an explanation. I sat with him in silence, debating if I should tell him about Aang or not. I decided not too. Me and Aang were technically breaking the law, and Sokka had an absurd amount of respect for the elemental rules. I'm not really sure why though. I think he wanted to be apart of the Water Tribe Guard.