Chapter 6: Avatar mysteries

Sokka's POV

As I left the room Dad was in, I felt scared for Katara. Dad was hellbent on finding her, and I didn't know if I could stop him from sending every guard we had on a search for the poor girl. I could even hear him behind me as I walked out, murmering words about search parties and troops. The man was loosing it.

I was just about to head up the stairs when he rushed out after me. "Sokka!" He shouted, making me jump. "You can take Katara's place until we find her. But if we find her before the wedding she will be forced into the marriage. I nodded, happy that I maybe got through to him a little. But the thought of him forcing Katara to marry someone she didn't want to be with made me sick to my stomach. Could he hear how he sounded? He sounded like a lunatic. 

Aang's POV

"No, no no no, I couldn't have bent water; don't joke around with me," I chuckled at her. She just stared at me in shock. "Aang. I didn't bend that water." Her face was dead serious. I froze. "Katara how is that possible?" I said, growing worried. Could I bend two elements? Was that something that could happen? 

Katara moved to her pack, still in shock, and rummaged around before pulling out a large book. I crawled over to her and sat by her as she opened it, flipping through the large pages. She stopped on a page that had detailed drawings of a man with glowing blue eyes. The man was bending all four elements in the picture, and seemed strong, and wise. Katara turned to me and began to explain.

"Aang, I thought the avatar was a legend, a story that was passed down between families around the dinner table, or shared with loved ones to spread hope. The avatar is master of all four elements, able to bend the winds, waters, rocks, and flames." She stated, looking at me nervously. "And, I-I think you're the avatar." 

I skimmed the page she had open, and read the facts about the mythical avatar, who restored balance to the four elements, connecting them even when they were divided. "Katara what if it was just the wind that moved your water.." I said cautiously. She took my hand and looked into my eyes. "Aang. I know what waterbending looks like. Something was bending that water and it wasn't me." She said shakily, looking up at me. I pulled her closer to me, she head resting on my chest. "What does it mean then? If I really am the avatar, what do I do?" She pulled herself into my lap and sighed. "I dont know, Aang." 

Katara's POV

I stayed in his lap, my eyes growing heavy with sleep. He seemed to  notice my tiredness and picked me up bridal style, moving the both of us to Appa's neck, so he could bring the bison down without leaving my side. As he steered Appa closer to the earth a million thoughts plagued my tired mind. Was Aang really the avatar? Would my dad find us? What would happen if my dad found us, what would he do to Aang? I nuzzled myself closer into his chest and he wrapped an arm around me. 

"We're gonna figure this out Katara," He said softly. I relaxed in his embrace and allowed myself to doze off. 

Sunlight hit my eyes as they fluttered open. I was laying on the ground, on top of a soft blanket. I remembered last night, I had fallen asleep on Aang. He must've moved me to the ground when we landed. I was about to get up, when something stopped me. I hadn't realized that Aang was next to me, still asleep, with one arm around my waist. I blushed, hard. We had slept together?  A smile crept across my face and I shifted, turning on my side. I watched the boy's chest rise and fall. His breathing was slow, and I figured that he was still deeply asleep. Not wanting to wake him, I wiggled out of his arm and stood up. 

I felt a pang of guilt as I looked around, seeing he had unpacked all of our supplies himself. The tents were pitched, and all of our things were neatly set beside them. He had probably only fallen asleep an hour or two ago. I looked back at him, feeling awful. He didn't have to take me with him, but he did. He didn't have to stay up late with me, or unpack our supplies, or tend to the fire, or cook us food, but he did. And he did it all with a smile on his face. I couldn't even begin to imagine how exhausted he really was, he did a great job of hiding it.

Plus, he was also dealing with the stress of my father looking for me, and being the avatar. I sat back down on the blanket next to him, listening to the soft snores coming from his nose. I loved him so much. I kissed his forehead before getting up to make breakfast for him, it was the least I could do after he had done so much for me.

I lit the fire, and rummaged around in his pack for something vegetarian I could make for him. I found a small package of tofu and beans, and pulled out a small pan from my pack. As I began to cook, I could hear him waking up. "Katara?" He asked groggily. I took the pan off of the fire and rushed over to him.  

He sat up and I hugged him as tight as I could. "Katara, what is it?" He asked me, his voice scratchy. "I just love you so much. And I can't thank you enough for all that you've done for me." I said, smothering his face in kisses. He giggled and returned my hug, kissing my lips softly. "Katara you don't need to thank me, I'm just trying to help you as much as I can." I just stared at him, not able to comprehend how one person could be so selfless. "Are you ok?" He asked me, a concerned look on his face. "I just don't understand how you can be so altruistic." I said, guilt flooding my heart. "It's how I was raised. And you make it worth doing." He smiled at me. I melted at his words, crashing my lips to his, and pulling him closer to me. He returned my embrace and kissed me back, stroking my hair. 

Aang's POV

She pulled away from me and stood up. "I made you breakfast!" She said excitedly. "It was the least I could do." I stood up and inhaled the warm smell of tofu. I smiled at her and she led me over to the fire.

 As I ate I looked around us. It had been dark when I had brought Appa down, and I hadn't been able to tell where we were. Now that it was lighter out, I could see that we had landed in a forest clearing, with trees surrounding us on all sides. It seemed like a safe spot for the time being. Thoughts about last night came back to me. I had bent water, I was.. the avatar. It was all so confusing. Katara seemed to notice my worried look. She scooted closer to me and pulled out a flask. "Want to try bending the water?" she asked softly. I sighed and nodded my head. She opened the flask and I moved my hands over the top of the canister. Sure enough, the water flowed effortlessly out of the small container, and I was able to float it through the air for a few seconds before it splashed to the ground. I shook my head. "I guess you were right." I mumbled to her. 

"Aang it's ok. We're going to figure this out, we'll find a way to make everything work." She looked into my eyes. I couldn't help but smile at her. She was beautiful as always. "So if I can bend water, I can also bend earth and fire..?" I asked curiously. "You should try!" She smiled at me. 

I walked over to  a rock sitting near the edge of the clearing. I concentrated on its shape and its size. Planting my foot in the ground and channeling my energy toward the stone, I lifted my hands slowly, making the rock shift its position. Moving my hands even further to the side, the rock rolled over, following my motions. Releasing my hold on the rock I smiled. I could earthbend now too. "Yay! You did it!" I could hear Katara shout behind me. I turned back and walked over to her. "I guess I really am the avatar.." I sighed. 

She kissed my cheek. "Maybe there's a library somewhere that has more information about the avatar," She said as she began to rummage through her bag. "I know the Southern Water Tribe has one of the biggest libraries in the world. Why don't we go back?" I stared at her in shock. "Katara are you crazy? You know why we're on the run in the first place, right?"

"Yes, I know. But we'll disguise ourselves. We already have water tribe clothes, and I can cut my hair short or maybe tie it up, and you can wear a hood to cover your arrows." She looked at me completely seriously and continued. "Also my dad wont expect us to stay in the South. We'll be hiding in plain sight!" I considered her plan. It seemed well thought out, like she had been mulling it over for quite sometime. "Alright." I replied.

"Let's do it."

________________________________________-

Thank you guys soooo much for the positive comments! 

They mean the WORLD to me :)

I'm going to try and work on another update as fast as I can, so stay tuned!