6. Friends

I wondered at Edward's odd behavior the whole weekend. When I wasn't turning over that last strange Friday, I was at the library, attempting to hunt down any books that might clue me in to what had attacked and killed that man—or answering the mystery of Edward Cullen. I checked the myths and legends section, scoured the books. Plenty of creatures could have been guilty, everything from changelings to cannibals. And there were too many super strong, super fast, super senses beings to attempt to whittle the list down.

I returned to school feeling like I'd run headfirst into an impenetrable wall. Until a small crack appeared at lunch, right after I noticed Edward was gone from the Cullen's table again.

"What's Edward Cullen doing?" Jessica wondered as we approached the register.

"What?" I looked back towards his corner of the cafeteria but found him still missing.

"He's sitting by himself." She nodded over to the opposite end of the room. Following her sights to a table near the hallway. There, seated where he had a view of everyone entering and leaving, sat Edward Cullen. He was watching me, and as soon as our eyes met, he smiled and motioned to me with his hand.

"Does he want you to join him?" Jessica asked, sounding almost insultingly incredulous.

I glanced her way before meeting his stare again. "Guess so."

After paying for my meal, I took off for Edward's lonely table. As I stepped up beside the chair across from him, I was momentarily taken aback by a bright, dazzling smile. "Why don't you sit with me today?"

"Sure," I answered, unable to believe my luck as I set my tray down. I noticed Edward's side of the table was bare. "Not hungry?"

His answering smile was wide and accompanied by an amused gleam in his eyes. "No."

Shrugging a shoulder, I settled into the seat and tore into the wrapper over my plastic spork and knife with my teeth. "Feelin' alright?" I asked as I pulled the rest apart.

"Fine." Something about this was hilarious, apparently.

"Kay," I said, uncertain, before pointing at my plate with my spork. "You mind if I eat?"

He shook his head and leaned back in his seat with folded arms. "Please. Don't starve on my account."

I shot him a brief smile. "If you're sure." I went for the whole reason I chose mystery meat meal. Peach cobbler.

"Positive." There was a moment of silence as he watched me eat and I watched him watching. "I thought I'd give it a try."

The spork paused halfway to my mouth as I squinted at him, hoping it might make his words clearer. It didn't. "What?"

"This." He pointed at himself and then me.

A brow arched. "This."

"Spending more time with you," he clarified.

A strange flutter in my stomach threatened my appetite. I let my hand drift back down. "You said we can't be friends."

"I said we shouldn't be friends," he corrected. The intensity returned to his gaze.

I stuck my spork into the cobbler, breaking another corner free from the syrup. He was probably right. But I only knew from my angle why it was a bad idea. What about him? "Why?"

The downward turn of his mouth deepened. "I wouldn't be a very good friend for you."

Another dread chill moved through me. I forced a grin. "Planning to borrow money and not pay me back?"

"You don't believe me."

I believed him. But I had to get closer to find out more. I shrugged. "I think I should be the one to decide for myself whether or not you're a friend worth having."