23. Epilogue

I wasn't sure silver was my color.

Honestly, I wasn't sure what my color was, but the silk gown with an asymmetrical neckline was... a lot. At least the strip of silk holding it up covered my shoulder wound. It was how far it dipped in the back that was making me nervous. Not to mention that it's skirt was long enough to touch the ground. And I had to wear heals.

Really, the whole thing was... a lot.

But I had to admit, it looked good. Alice had done my hair earlier, piling it up in a series of artful layers that lent me a very sophisticated air. It went well with the dress. I'd laid off on the dark eyeshadow and eyeliner, going with a more natural look for the evening. The dress was already an attention grabber. I almost looked like some kind of modern-day Greek goddess.

With a final twist to make sure there wasn't an angle where the puckered flesh of my still-healing scar could be seen, I opened the door and flicked the bathroom light off. I moved into the hall—which took mindful steps on my part considering the new house was carpeted. The heels didn't have the same firm purchase they'd had on the bathroom tile. I was careful, hand hovering near the bare wall as I moved to the steps.

As soon as I reached the staircase, my heart fluttered at the sight of Edward in a tux. Handsome never did him justice. Now it was so inadequate, I might as well call the sun hot.

From the foot of the stairs, his tawny gaze lifted to me. My pulse picked up at the look in his eyes.

Beside him, Alice hopped a bit in place and clapped her hands together. "Oh, Sarah! You look beautiful!"

"Thanks," I said, feeling a bit awkward. I hadn't admitted as much to Alice, but this was my first time in a dress. It was—breezy.

Footsteps moved from the living room to join Alice and Edward. Sam stopped beside Alice, wearing his own tuxedo—which actually fit despite the fact he'd probably gained another two inches in the last few months. Alice worked miracles. He smiled. "Yeah. You look really nice."

"You too," I replied, leaning towards the wall, hand outstretched, as I carefully made my way down the steps. I'd have gripped the railing, but my shoulder would be moving around enough tonight that I didn't want to push it too early.

As I made it to the bottom, Edward reached for me, placing a steadying hand on the middle of my back. Which was bare. A pleasant shiver traveled down my spine where his cold skin touched mine.

Alice's smile, already wide, somehow managed to grow as she brought up a small digital camera. "I know John would like some pictures."

While Edward and the others tried to play it down, I gathered that Dad was having a rough time. Not just with the diet but adjusting overall to—everything. While he insisted everything was fine during our calls, he talked a lot about spending most of his time up in the mountains. I wondered if the only reason he ever came down was to call me and Sam.

Normally, I'd doubt that Dad would care about a few pictures—but Alice had said he would. So, I smiled when she instructed me to, and let her take a lone photo of me. She then took one of Sam. Once she was happy with the single pictures, she had us standing together. Finally, she had Edward stand next to me for a couple's photo.

"Perfect," she declared, pleased. She set her camera back into her purse. "I better head home and get ready."

"Won't you be late?" I wondered.

Edward and Alice laughed.

Slapping his arm with the back of my hand, I rolled my eyes. "Vampire speed. Right."

"And there's nothing wrong with being fashionably late," Alice told me in all earnestness. Or so I thought before she winked.

"See you there, Alice," Sam said.