| four |

Cassie, Lexie and the rest of Cristina's interns were in the ER room, following Cristina, who was talking about the ups and downs, the good and the bad of working in the ER

Cassie, Lexie and the rest of Cristina's interns were in the ER room, following Cristina, who was talking about the ups and downs, the good and the bad of working in the ER. Lexie then proceeded to question Cristina about Meredith, which enraged Cristina. Cassie had taken a few more steps away from the tense pair when she heard a loud voice echoing throughout the emergency room.

"Help!" With a baby in her arms, a woman yelled as she came into the E.R. hospital entrance. Cassie, Cristina, and Lexie dashed over to the agitated woman. "My—My baby. I was carrying her down the stairwell when I fell." Cassie placed gloves on Cristina and Lexie's hands, as well as her own "She slammed her head against the wall. She had been crying in the car, but she is no longer crying ".. "Ma'am." Cristina approached the woman. "I'm too afraid to take a peek. Please tell me my baby is still alive." the worried mother inquired, "Okay," "Let me have the baby—" Cristina nodded, reaching for the newborn. "She can't be dead,"

The woman hysterically cried, "right? You don't die from just falling down the stairs. She's--" "Please," Cristina pleaded, "let me help. Let me help. I'll take the baby. That's fine. Okay." Cristina took the baby from her and placed it on a trauma bed. "Oh, my God," cries the woman. Cristina checked the baby's lungs with her stethoscope around her neck, saying, "She's breathing." She took a quick glance at her two interns "Her fontanelle has a strained feeling to it. She's sluggish. Take her to trauma number two and page Shepherd."

___

"Your baby has a slight brain contusion." Dr Shepherd explained to the father of the baby as his wife fell unconscious after passing off her baby to the doctors, "Her brain's bruised. It's minor. But I'd like to keep her here for observation." Derek finished explaining, "I-I gotta tell you, Dr Shepherd," The father admitted, "I'm paying attention to you, but I'm not understanding what you're saying. Dr Hahn is about to take my wife into surgery, and I need to accompany her. You're an expert at what you're doing. G- Go ahead and take action. I have to go see my wife." Cassie went forward as the father began to walk away. "Wait." "W-your What's daughter's name?" she inquired. "She doesn't have one yet" he paused "we only adopted her a week ago".

___

Cassie rested her head in the palm of her hand while she waited for Lexie by the Nurse's station, watching George and Izzie converse. "So—" "Holy mother of  Mary and Joesph!" exclaims Cassie. As she looked across at Lexie, clutching a palm to her chest as if trying to stop the rapid thumping going on inside her body. "You scared the living daylights out of me." Lexie chuckled as Cassie joked, nodding her head to the Nurse's station. "You like George?" "I do not," Cassie said, furrowing her brows in response to Lexie's question. "Your face is as red as your hair right now Cass," Lexie said, laughing at her friend's clear lie. Cassie rolled her eyes as she pressed her hands on her cheeks to block out the light. "Last night, I slept with Alex." "And I didn't know Meredith lived with him so..." Lexie added, raising Cassie's eyebrows. "Did she see you with him?" Cassie finished, and when Lexie nodded, she cringed. "Yeah." She let out a sigh of relief "I believe she despises me once more. As a result, I paged—" "Yep." "Your boy toy is coming right now," Cassie cut her off, nodding her head towards Alex's approaching figure. "I'm going now," Cass said, pointing behind her.  As Alex approached her, Cassie uncomfortably fled away, and Lexie grinned, pleased for her friend's decision.

___

"So, George?" Lexie inquired, as she and Cassie rolled the baby into her mother's room, "I don't like him," Cassie rolled her eyes at Lexie. Cassie exclaimed, emphasizing the word 'not' in her phrase. Cassie and Lexie's attention was drawn to the sound of a monitor beeping crazily in the mother's room. While Lexie jogged forward, Cassie lingered to the side with the infant, tenderly gripping the little hand in comfort. "Her heart had stopped for the second time." "They got it started," the spouse explained, "but look," He made a motion to the baby, saying, "Right now, I'm unable to deal with her. Could you please return her to me?" Cassie and Lexie stood motionless as they watched all of the physicians rush to his wife's aid."Now! Could you take her away now?" The father exclaimed, wanting nothing to do with the baby, Lexie nodded as Cassie responded, "Sorry, we'll take her back now."

Leaving Lexie with the unnamed baby, Cassie went running off in search for Dr Torres, as she was chief resident, and she wanted to ask if the baby could stay another day. "Dr Shepherd's ready to discharge Teresa Brotherton's daughter, but the father's in no position to take care of her," Cassie told Dr Bailey, Izzie, and Alex as they walked towards them. Dr Webber approached the group of doctors and said, "Is there a problem?" the senior doctor said. "Uh, just a minor administrative delay. Dr Torres has the situation under control." Before speaking again, Dr Bailey assured, watching Webber go away "Okay, here's what's going to happen: put crap man in the same room as lazy face-lift. They are capable of abusing one another." Before gazing at Cassie, she told Alex and Izzie, "The baby is welcome to stay for another night. And, in case anyone is wondering, none of this was my idea." Cassie nodded, quickly walking back to Lexie and the baby.

___

Mr Brotherton had shocked Lexie and Cassie as he left the hospital without his daughter the night after Teresa's heart operation, which culminated in her death. When he returned, though, they were relieved to discover that he was content to be a father to his lovely daughter. Lexie and Cassie made their way to Joe's bar in celebration and to enjoy a drink. "I told her I could draw on an Etch a Sketch," Lexie groans. "Of all the things I could've selected, I—" Lexie sighed in humiliation. "No wonder she thinks I'm pathetic," she said, shaking her head. Cassie gulped her drink, a nonalcoholic drink because she was the designated driver, as Lexie's head slipped into her arms on the table.

Cassie, pulling her hair out of her face and sighing as her head was caught in her hands, spoke up "I think I like a boy who just got divorced and has a girlfriend." "You like George," Lexie exclaimed, raising her head. "I do, I like George," Cassie groaned as she drank more Coke. Before Alex approached the two, Lexie began to chuckle and was about to say something. "Sorry, Red, I'm taking your friend home," he apologized, and Cassie smiled before nodding and waving a hand at the two as Alex escorted Lexie out of the pub. "It appears to be just the two of us, Joe." Cassie gave him a friendly smile before perking up and asking, "Do you have any packets of nuts?" as she tossed a few more bucks onto the bar.