| one |

The first day of the rest of her life

The first day of the rest of her life. Cassie was ready for this.

Cassie Storm strode through the corridors of the massive hospital, her exhilaration radiating from within. She felt a sense of pride as she looked around the hospital; her family was full of attorneys and accountants, and she was known as 'the pretty one,' who no one thought would make it far. Her 5.0 GPA, position at the top of her class, and desire to be a surgeon, however, revealed she wasn't just a gorgeous face.

Her speciality, on the other hand, she had no idea about. She was only just starting as an intern, and deciding on a speciality was still a long way off. Although she appeared to be interested in paediatric and fetal medicine. Internships and residencies, on the other hand, are for testing the waters and acquiring a well-rounded education. There are no hasty decisions taken until several years after surgery. All she wanted to do at this point was find the locker room.

She glimpsed a familiar face as she walked through the endless corridors, and she immediately recognised her as a friend she made at the intern mixer. "Cass! Come here" Lexie yelled and waved her over to the locker room, which she assumed was the case. She was absolutely correct. Cassie entered the locker room with astonishment in her eyes.

"Do we get assigned lockers, or do we just get to pick one?" one of the interns questioned, looking at the rows of lockers. "It reeks in here!" another complained "What do you want? It's a locker room" a different intern retorted. "No" the second stated, "it's our locker room". Cassie and Lexie exchanged awed looks. "You guys, look, bloody scrubs," one of the interns said. The interns all look at each other, amused, as though this is a glimpse into their future at Seattle Grace.

A throat was cleared, and all eyes were drawn to someone removing items from their locker. George O'Malley returned the stare and uttered a brief "Hi" to the group of ecstatic interns. "Come on guys, let's, well, let's go check out the cafeteria," one of the interns said hesitantly. Except for Lexie and Cassie, all of the interns ran out of the locker room, leaving Cassie and Lexie staring at George.

"Hey" Lexie greeted, as Cassie smiled and waved. George nodded at the girls "Hi" he replied. "We're the new interns" Cassie spoke with a friendly tone, George nodded again "Yeah". Cassie cleared her throat as Lexie spoke again "Well, you look seasoned and wise. Um... got any advice?". "No" George shook his head at the girls, Cassie silently gestured if she and Lexie should leave before George spoken again "Learn how to do an appendectomy start to finish before your first day".

Cassie beamed with happiness "Thank you" she smiled, she glanced towards his bag "Are you leaving?". George turned to her "Yeh", "Better offer?" Lexie questioned, making Cassie's eyes widen "Just, uh... you know life" he replied. The two girls nodded "Anyways, uh good luck with life" Lexie shrugged "Doctor...", George placed his stethoscope on his locker as he reached out his hand to shake Lexie's hand "My name is George". Lexie shook George's hand "I'm Lexie Grey", George reached out for my hand, which I gladly took "I'm Cassie, Cassie Storm" I said smiling at the doctor.

___

Cassie swiftly stuffed her belongings inside her locker and shut the door. When she turned around, she was surprised to see George. When I spoke out his name, he jumped slightly and nodded as he unlocked his locker. "I thought yo-" I started before George cut me off. "Yeah, I decided to come back" she grinned. "I won't say anything," she said quietly, motioning a zip to lock her lips. George appeared to sigh with relief.

"So" Cassie tilted her head "whos your resident?" she questioned "Mer- Grey" he stuttered "Ah, so you do know Lexie's sister" Cassie assumed. George seemed flustered, stuttering out "Don't you have to go find your resident?", Cassie quickly checked the time on her watch, and started to walk away from George before turning around and pointing finger guns at him "I will continue this conversation later" before spinning back around and scurrying off to find her resident.

Cassie jogged towards Lexie and the other interns, who currently resided in a small group, before approaching Cristina Yang, their resident. Cristina turned her head to gaze at the interns when she sensed someone behind her "I have five rules. Memorise them".

Cassie's photographic memory made it very impossible for her to forget all of the regulations that Dr Yang spit at them.

"That was four rules" Lexie pointed out in confusion, "You said five". Cristina placed her hands on her hips "Rule number five when I move, you move". There was a silence floating around the group of confused interns, as Cristina checked her pager. Looking at the group of interns standing around, having no clue what to do "Go!" Cristina shouted, making all the interns, including Cassie, scatter in fear.

___

"Where have you been?" Dr Callie Torres, the chief resident, asked all the other residents who came late with their interns "We have multiple M.V.C's due any second", "We're here arent we? We're here" Alex retorted.

"One, two, go get stat packs. Uh, three, four go meet the ambulances". Lexie and Cassie were three and four, so they walked away to meet the ambulance. "So hey" Lexie greeted George as Cassie fastened hers and Lexie's yellow surgical gowns, asking, "Are you an intern... again?" George nodded his head and put on his gloves. Cassie shifted her gaze between the two, attempting to avoid being embroiled in the private dialogue that surrounded Meredith Grey. Cassie grabbed Lexie's hand when she noticed George's figure going away from her. "Perhaps they're just acquaintances?" she wondered.

The rest of the residents came pooling out of the hospital with their interns and Dr Miranda Bailey looked back "Uh, Grey, don't let them just stand here", prompting Meredith Grey, Lexie's sister, to run to the ambulance with her interns.

"One, two, three, four, let's get a move on" Cristina spoke loudly, waving her hand for them to follow her to the ambulance. Cassie ran up to her resident, where a paramedic handed the patients chart to Cristina "Unrestrained driver D.O.A at the scene. Just need someone to call it". "Oh crap" Cristina sighed "why'd you get me all excited with the sirens? okay". Cristina turned back to her interns calling out to them "who wants to see a dead guy?".

After looking at the dead body, Cristina finished writing on the patient's chart, looking at her wrist to check the time "Time of death, 8:22". However, the patient took a sharp intake of air that made everyone look at each other in shock, Cassie turned to Cristina "Uh, the dead guy just breathed". Cristina frantically spoke "Not time of death!" springing into action "This guy is not dead". Cristina put away the chart "Let's bag him. Okay we've got a, we've got a guy who has risen from the dead over here"

___

My first shift as a surgical intern was officially completed. Cassie was swiftly changing and retrieving her belongings from her locker in the locker room. She slammed the door on her locker and spun around to face George. Only George and Cassie remained in the dressing room; everyone else had departed. "How was your second first day?" Cassie inquired as she turned to face George. "It was good," he said, lifting his head to smile at her. "How was your actual first day?" George questioned "It was pretty much the best day of my life," Cassie replied. "I'll see you tomorrow O'Malley," she said as she slung her bag over her shoulder and waved a short goodbye to him before leaving the hospital.

She couldn't wait to jump into her bed and do it all over again tomorrow.