Chapter 10

Tanna Carson

"My arm is kinda getting tired." I say, dropping my hand that was holding the ice pack against Luke's forehead. "Come on, we can continue our conversation in the TV room. You can lie on the couch so that I don't have to hold this anymore."

"It's okay, my heads fine Tan." I swivel back round on my heel to see him still seated at the island.

"You coming?" I ask, turning back around to walk out the kitchen.

Alex showed me around the house after the boys rehearsed and it's really such a stunning place. There's a lot to take in, but I think I got the just of it.

"Wrong way."

I'm only kidding, I'll get it eventually.

"I knew that." Luke chuckles from behind me as I change directions, walking into the tv room and plopping down onto the couch.

"I'm okay staying awake by myself, don't you need to get some sleep?" My eyes follow his movements as he comes to sit right next to me on the couch.

"Sleep is for the weak." He winks at me and I can't help but roll my eyes, laughing softly.

"Okay, lie down, my hand is starting to get frost bite." I say teasingly, him scoffing in response.

He swivels on the couch, sliding further back before draping his legs across my lap.

"Comfortable?" I ask, an amused expression across my face as I look down at him.

"Eh, could be better."

"Good to know." I chuck the ice pack onto his stomach, making him groan playfully.

"So, am I gonna get an answer to my question Carson?"

"Care to remind me what it was Patterson?"

"You're majoring in photography eh?"

"I am."

"What got you into photography?"

"Well, there has always been something special to me about being able to look back on all these old special memories. Especially after Alex left, I found myself looking back on our photos almost every day, like they were a return ticket to the times I felt happiest.

After he left, I felt really lost for a while, went through a lot and photography allowed me to express the things I was going through. It wasn't everything, but it helped me feel happier again, well as much as I could have felt at the time."

"I- I get you, it's the same with music. The lyrics and the music speak for me. Being in the band is just, unexplainable, like actual people want to listen to our music, they appreciate the emotion, and see the story through our eyes. It's about playing music and connecting with the people listening and making a difference in their day."

"You're really passionate about music."

"As cliche as it's going to sound,  music is my life, it's gotten me through so much, it's irreplaceable." I watch him in awe as his passion  radiates through every word that leaves his lips.

He must have noticed my silence as he lifts his head up to look at me, catching my gaze.

I immediately look away, trying to hide the fact that I was just looking at him, along with the redness of my cheeks.

"Mmh, so do I get to see some of your photos?"

"That depends, do I get to hear some of your songs?"

"I guess that could work, deal?"

"Deal." A smile crawls across my face and a soft laugh escapes my lips. "How tired are you right now?"

"I'm awake?" He says, sounding unsure of himself.

"We can play 21 questions if you're up for it?"

"Oh, you know I am, let's do it."

"Okay, start off easy, what's your favourite tv show?"

"I'd have to say friends." I tilt my head to the side slightly before laughing softly.

"Let me guess, your favorite character is Joey?"

"How'd you know?"

"Just a hunch."

"Okay, my turn. Is there something that you can't leave the house without?" He asks, the curiosity evident in his voice as he asks the question.

"Um, my ring." I say softly, looking down at the gold ring on my finger as I hold out my hand.

"Is there a backstory, if you don't mind me asking."

"My mom gave it to me a while ago and I guess it's just become one of those things I keep on at all times. What about you and all those rings?"

"This ones from Alex and the other from Reggie, birthday gifts and that."

"They really suit you."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah, they're really attr-" My eyes widen as I realize what I was about to say.

"Please, finish that one Tan." My cheeks start to heat up as he presses on about it.

"So, you must have asked for a reason. What's something you have with you at all times?"

"I always have this.." He says, reaching into his pocket, pulling out a black wooden guitar pick. "It's my lucky one I guess."

The two of us sit on the couch together, taking turns asking each other questions, getting to know each other more and more gradually throughout the night. 

"That wa-" I look down to see Luke's eyes closed as his head rests against my shoulder. "I knew he was tired."

I sigh softly at the sight of him asleep against me, knowing I can't move or I'll wake him.

I tuck my legs underneath me carefully, trying not to move too much before picking up my phone.

It was currently around eight thirty and hopefully the boys would be up soon.

I unlock my phone, spending time aimlessly scrolling through Instagram, not realizing how much time went by until I hear Alex's voice as he enters the room.

"You're up early and I don't ever recall you being a morning person."

"Morning to you too Al." I laugh softly, watching him roll his eyes. "Anyway, I couldn't sleep last night, so it's basically the same day for me."

"Tan, why didn't you come wake me?" He says running his hand over his face. "Also, why is Luke asleep on your shoulder?"

"I wouldn't wake you up just because I couldn't fall asleep, it's just jet lag, but Luke kept me company last night after I woke him up, unintentionally."

"Kept you company right?" He says wiggling his eyebrows suggestively.

"Al, he could literally hear you."

"He's a heavy sleeper, he won't hear us, trust me." He shrugs and I tilt my head slightly, watching him walk away.

"I-okay then."

"Is breakfast ready?" I hear Reggie shout from upstairs and I laugh softly.

"Morning to you too Reg. Pancakes will be ready in ten." Alex shouts back from the kitchen.

The weight on my shoulder lightens, and I turn my head to see Luke stretching his arms out in front of him.

He furrows his eyebrows with an innocent 'puppy dog' expression across his face as he looks back at me.

"Sleep is for the weak right?"