Part 30: For Granted

Start from the beginning

"Having the baby?" She looks at me, and I nod again. "I mean when I had Carl I had a C-section. We had access to pain medicine. But, since we don't have any of that, yeah it'll be painful. I'm a little scared, but Having a baby isn't a comfortable thing to do either way. It'll be okay though."

"Why don't we go downstairs and check on your dad? And maybe you can talk with Maggie if you want to." Lori suggests.

I just nod my head, and then the two of us head down the cell lock stairs. We all see Carl walk in with a bag.

"Thought you were organizing the food." Glenn says to him. Carl looks up with a grin.

"Even better! Check it out!" Carl says. And drops the bag. Carol and Lori open it, it's full of medical supplies.

"Where did you get this?" Lori asks him. Her and Carol looking through the bag.

"Found the infirmary. Wasn't much left, but I cleared it out!" Carl answers her, her head snapped back up to him.

"You went by yourself?" She jasks him. While Carol and Maggie put new bandages on Daddy's leg.

"Yeah."

Lori, Maggie and I all look at him shocked.

"Are you crazy?"

"No big deal, I killed two walkers!"

Lori points at dad.

"Alright, do you see this? This was with the whole group!"

"We needed supplies, so I got them!"

"I appreciate that, but..."

"Then get off my back!" Carl interrupts her, shouting. My eyes go wide.

"Carl! She's your mother, you can't talk to her like that!" Beth is quick to scold him. I see him then go a little red, embarrassed maybe.

"Listen, I think it's great that you want to help but..." she is interrupted again by Carl running out of the cell.

I follow him. Not too quickly though in fear of making my bruised hip hurt again.

He goes up the stairs to our cell. When I arrive. He sits down on the bed, and puts his head in his hands. I walk in.

"Hey Carl." I say.

"Hi Kenzie." He grumbled.

"You okay." I ask.

"Yeah I'm fine. Just wish my mom wouldn't treat me like a little kid."

"She just cares a lot about you."

"I know that so don't say it. But I still wish she'd get off my back it's annoying."

"Well I'd give anything to have my mom back. Even if she did treat me like a little kid."

"Why do you have to make me feel guilty?" Carl sighs.

"I'm not trying to make you feel bad. Just, I'm trying to help you see what you have and appreciate what you have before it's gone. We take a lot of things for granted in life. Like, life before, when we had all the things like hot showers, TV, and loads of food. Ordinary things back then that we took for granted. Until it was taken away from us. Having a mother being another example for me." I say. "I just don't want you to make the same mistake."

"Yeah."

"And the farm too. I miss it. It's where I grew up. And i-it's gone." I sniff.

"I'm sorry." Carl looks at me sympathetically.

"It's okay. What's something you miss from before?" I ask.

"Video games." He laughs. "And as crazy as it sounds, going to school. I hated it before but now I just wish for life to be normal like that again."

I nod and look over at him. And he's frowning, probably reminiscing his old life. I nudge his arm. He looks at me.

"Look at the bright side. At least we got each other. And everyone else in the group." I smile. "I mean, hey if this didn't happen I probably would have never met you. Or Rick, or Glenn, or even Daryl. I'm getting used to how it is now too."

"You're right."

"Of course I am. I'm never wrong." I joke. He scoffs and shoves my shoulder. We both laugh. And after a moment in comfortable silence I speak again. "Carl?"

    "Yeah?"

    "Why'd you go so red when Beth scolded you?" I ask. "Do you have a crush on her?" I tease.

    "I mean she is really pretty." He answers, and I feel a bit of hurt or disappointment. I don't know why, I guess I get a bit jealous. "But her little sister is pretty too." Carl says. I guess he sensed my jealousy.

    I look down and feel my cheeks going red. I start laughing and he laughs too.

    "I'm going to go check on my dad." I say standing up. He nods, and I smile at him before walking out and heading downstairs. Thinking 'why would I care so much about Carl liking Beth?! Am I starting to have a crush of my own?'

Ooooh Kenzie has a crushhhh!
Hope you liked the update! If you did please remember to vote and leave a comment 😁 have a good day you amazing people!😘

Chapter? 👇
(What is one thing you would miss the most if an apocalypse actually happened?)