Part 10: Daryl

It's the next day.

Maggie told me that Carl will be able to get out of bed, and walk around the farm today. She suggested that I should ask him to help me with my chores today so I can show him around. I agreed.

I walk up to Lori and Carl, just as they are walking out of the house.

"Hey Lori, hey Carl. Y'all wanna come help me feed the chickens?" I ask them. Carl's eyes light up.

"Can we mom?" He asks his mom, excitedly.

"Of course we can Carl." She said chuckling and shaking her head.

After that all three of us walk over to the chicken coop. I hand them each a bucket with some feed in it. We start to feed the chickens.

I look up at Lori, she's looking off somewhere else, but I notice a worried look on her face. Carl notices me looking at his mom, then looks himself.

"Don't look so worried." He tells her. She looks to him.

"It's my job." She says to him, with a small smile.

"No, it's not. Your a housewife." He says making me and Lori look to him. I laugh and so does Carl. Causing Lori to chuckle.

"Yeah, punk? You see my house around here? A housewife." Lori said after throwing feed at me and Carl, and shaking her head. We all had a good laugh.

"They don't have a mother." Carl says to Lori after a few seconds of silence.

"She might be somewhere else." She said. We ate her. I'm not gonna say that though. But, I won't have too.

"Maybe she got eaten." Carl says making Lori look wide eyed at him, shocked.

"Everything is food for something else." I say finally joining the conversation. Also making Lori look shocked at me. What?! It's true.

We finished feeding the chickens, and Lori said she had to go talk to Glenn about something. So me and Carl go hang out and talk by the fence.

"Hey Carl?" I say to him.

"Yeah?" He replies.

"Who's Sophia?"

"You know who Carol is right?"

"Yeah. Isn't she the one with really short grey hair?"

"Yes, that's her. Sophia was her daughter. We lost her a while ago."

"How old is she?"

"I'm pretty sure twelve. I'm not sure if her birthday has came yet though."

"I hope y'all find her."

"Me too. She was a good friend. I miss her."

"I'm sorry." I say and he nods.

We both sit there looking out into the field. I look to Carl and I think about how daddy doesn't want his group on the farm Long.