Part 15: Shock

After the barn, I walked up to the house and stayed inside. My entire family is heartbroken, but I'm sort of relieved too. Don't get me wrong I'm sad, have been since they got bit and turned.

I'm sitting in the chair in the living room, reading a book. Or trying too, I started to 'read' it to take my mind off of things, but it is difficult to.

I start to sing. Keeping my eyes in the book. I don't realize someone was listening until I hear him clear his throat. I jump and turn around.

"Oh my gosh. It's just you Daryl." I say putting my hand on my chest, relieved it was just the redneck. Still embarrassed he saw me singing though. "Do you need somethin'? I mean you never really come in the house unless ya have to so."

"Nah, I just came to check on ya kid." He says to me. "How ya doin'? I know that had to be a lot. Out at the barn."

I wanted to laugh, 'the tough, ruthless redneck' came to ask me how I was doing.

"Oh what? Is the badass redneck worried about little ole me?" I ask giggling, being sort of sarcastic. He glares at me. "Woah, calm yourself, I was just joking...I'm fine, I accepted the fact that they were dead a long time ago. I mean I'm sad, that's a given, but I'm okay. Don't know how my dad and sisters are taking it though."

"Your a tough kid. Ya know that?" He says to me after nodding.

"Of course I am. Ya know who your talking to?" I say jokingly, raising my brows. He looks at me thinking I'm weird. I start laughing.

He scoffs and turns away walking out the door again. But, before he went, I swear I could see an amused smile on his face.

About an hour later it was time for the funerals. We were burying Shawn, Mama, and the girl 'Sophia'. I wish I could've known her, me and her probably could've been best friends.

I look down to where the graves are on my way over there. I notice Carol, Sophia's mom, wasn't down there. I looked around for her, and she wasn't anywhere in sight. I figure she would probably be in the RV cause she wasn't in the house so I go to the RV.

When I walk into it, i see Carol sitting at the table. With her head in her hands, the little hair that she had was looking wild. I could tell she was crying. She just looked broken.

I don't say anything, I just walk over and sit across from her. After a few moments of silence I break it.

"Carol, we should go down to the funerals now." I say, knowing we were going to be late. She shakes her head.

"No Mackenzie." She says shaking her head.

"What? Why not? It's for Sophia." I say wondering why on earth she wouldn't want to go, to her own daughter's funeral.

"I- I can't go...I can't go Mackenzie."

"But, it's your daughter's funeral."

"That's why I can't go. It's her funeral, but it should be mine. I was supposed to die before she ever did. That's how it should've gone. But it didn't!" She spat, making me look at her wide eyed. "I- I'm sorry. I shouldn't have yelled, your just a kid. Like I told Daryl, that ain't my daughter it's something else. You wouldn't understand. I just don't feel like grieving in front of the rest of them." She says putting her head back in her hands.

"It's okay." I say, then think a bit. Leaning back. I grab a book then say. "I'll sit with ya then." As I open it. She looks at me and shakes her head.

"No your not gonna miss your mom and brothers funeral for me."

"No, it's okay. I've already done my grievin' for them. Been doin' that since they got put into the barn."

"Your family needs you down there, Mackenzie."

"Whatever." I say getting up. "But, so does yours." I walk out of the RV, and down to the graves. I don't really listen while daddy preaches the funerals.

    As people left, some patted my shoulder. Or gave me a solemn nod. I walked up to the house, and started cleaning, and getting it ready for when they cook supper tonight.

    As I'm washing dishes, I hear someone walk into the kitchen behind me. I turn around and see Beth. She looks the saddest I've ever seen her. She walks beside me and starts drying the dishes I washed already, not looking at me.

    "Thanks, Beth." I say, she nods, still not looking at me. "Are you okay." She doesn't answer. I just brush it off, she just doesn't want to talk. I turn and see Glenn and Maggie talking in the living room. I smile, I knew they were gonna happen!

    Suddenly Beth looks up and out the window. Just staring.

    "Beth?" I say, concerned. Then, she falls to the ground, the plate in her hand shattering in the sink. "Beth!" I yell out of fear. Catching her head so it don't hit the ground. Glenn and Maggie run into the kitchen at the noise.

    "What happened?!" Glenn asks me.

    "I- I don't know she just collapsed." I say holding back tears.

Lori runs in the front door, followed by Andrea, they run over to us.

"Oh my God. " Lori says. Immediately running over to Beth's side. We all move her into the bedroom.

"What's wrong with her?" Andrea asks.

"She might be in shock." Lori answers, as I crawl onto the bed and lay down beside Beth, holding her hand.

They went outside to get Rick, leaving me alone to watch her.

"I love you Beth, Please snap out of it. I can't do this without you." I say kissing her hand that was in mine. I start singing to her, and eventually I falling asleep laying beside her holding her hand.

Mackenzie is such a sweet sister! She loves Beth to death. It hurts her to see her in shock. 😩💕 hope you enjoyed this chapter.
(Chapter? 👇)
Who do you think is the weakest character on the show, ever, and why?