Part 34: The Governor?

I was in my cell when they brought the woman in. She was covered in blood and dirt, and her leg was hurt. Not to mention she smelled awful.

I walked in as they poured water on her making her wake up.

"Shh. It's all right. It's all right. Hey, hey, look at me. Look at me. Who are you?" Rick asks her, who is still a bit startled. "Hey, it's all right."

She quickly tries to grab her weapon, which happens to be a sword. Rick is fast to catch her before she can though.

"Hey. Hey. No" he says to her sternly. Pushing the katana behind him with his foot, while holding her in place. "We're not going to hurt you unless you try something stupid first, all right?"

I grab the sword and gently place it on a table, farther away from the woman in fear of what might happen if she gets ahold of it. Carl and Beth watching me as I do so.

"Rick. Who the hell is this?" Daryl walks in and asks.

"You wanna tell us your name?" Rick asks her once, before asking a second time after getting no response, just a stare back.

"Y'all come on in here." Daryl says.

"Everything alright?"

"You're gonna wanna see this."

"Go ahead. Carl, get the bag." Rick says. Beth grabs my arm and ushers me toward the cell block door with Judith in her other arm.

I look back seeing Rick pick up the sword and talk to the woman, before he followed the rest of us into the cell block.

They all followed Daryl to a cell, but I just sit and watch the woman through the cell block door. She's paying me no mind though.

After a bit I hear footsteps behind me and turn to see Rick walking up.

"You don't have to stand watch for us kiddo." He joked smiling at me.

"I know."

"Do you have a bad feeling about her or something?"

"No. But it's hard to tell the bad guys from the good ones nowadays. Plus I'm only a kid." I shrug and he chuckles at me.

"Well There's someone that you might want to go see."

"Who?"

Before he could answer I saw the person he was talking about walk down the stairs and toward us.

"Carol?!" I exclaim. She smiles at me and I run over and hug her.

"You seem happy to see me." Carol laughs.

"Well, yeah. We thought you were dead."

"Well I'm still kicking." She joked before walking away. As Daryl, daddy, and Rick go in the other room with the woman I stand and listen at the door.

"We can tend to that wound for you, give you a little food and water, and then send you on your way. But you're gonna have to tell us how you found us and why you were carrying formula." Rick says to her.

"The supplies were dropped by a young Asian guy with a pretty girl." The woman answers. My heart stop, knowing she's talking about my eldest sister and Glenn. I see daddy stand with worry.

"What happened?" Rick asks, followed by a question from daddy.

"Were they attacked?"

"They were taken." She answers, making my heart drop into my stomach.

"Taken? By who?" Rick says.

"By the same son of a bitch who shot me."

"Hey, these are our people. You tell us what happened now!" Rick says roughly grabbing the woman's gunshot wound. Making her grunt in pain and me flinch before she starts speaking again.

"Don't you ever touch me again!" She shouts at him as Daryl points his crossbow at her. Ready for whatever happens.

"You'd better start talking. You're gonna have a much bigger problem than a gunshot wound." Daryl pipes in.

"Find 'em yourself." She says glaring at the man holding a weapon to her head.

"Hey, shh, shh, shh. Put it down." Rick says softly before pushing the crossbow down and out of her face, and moving in front of her. "You came here for a reason."

She looks away from him for a moment.
"There's a town. Woodbury. About 75 survivors. I think they were taken there." She explains.

"A whole town?"

"It's run by this guy who calls himself the Governor-- pretty boy, charming, Jim Jones type."

"He got muscle?" Daryl asks.

"Paramilitary wannabes. They have armed sentries on every wall."

"You know a way in?" Rick asks her.

"The place is secure from walkers, but we could slip our way through." She explains nodding. Rick scoffs.

"How'd you know how to get here?"

"They mentioned a prison, said which direction it was in, that it was a straight shot."

Rick nods then turns and points to dad.

"This is Hershel, the father of the girl who was taken. He'll take care of that." He says motioning to her gunshot wound. Him and Daryl then walk towards the cell block to leave.

I quickly try to scurry away in case I get into trouble for eavesdropping. But I was caught anyway.

"Mackenzie!" Rick calls after me. Making me stop in my tracks and turn around, putting up my best innocent act.

"Yes?" I say.

"Why'd you eavesdrop?" He asks.

"I don't know what you're talking about." I lie.

"Mackenzie it is a barred door. You thought none of us could see you standing in it." He chuckled.

"None of you looked at me so I figured you weren't paying me no mind." I shrug. "You aren't mad?"

"No I'm not. I don't know how your father would feel about it though." He smiles at me.

"Y'all are gonna bring them back right? You're gonna go get them?" I ask.

"Don't worry about it Mack-." Rick starts saying but I cut him off.

"I know. But it's hard to not worry, when my sister has been taken, by some gun wielding crazy guy who thinks he's a governor." I exasperate. He bends down to my level and puts a hand on my shoulder.

"Mackenzie. Calm down. We're gonna go get them. Trust me we wouldn't just leave them there." He says softly. "You don't need to worry. Let us adults do that. Go play with Carl or help Beth with Judith. It'll be alright."

"Okay." I nod and he smiles at me before walking away. Lord I hope they bring them home safe.

—————————————————————

Hope you enjoyed this chapter. If you did please leave a comment and vote! 🤍

(Chapter ?👇)
How old were you when the walking dead began? And when did you begin watching it?

My answer: I was 7 when it began. I started watching at age 12 🤷🏻‍♀️