Part 31: Thank You

"Do something! Somebody help! Somebody, please help!" I hear yelling coming from the cell where daddy is.

    I run to the cell, and see Beth freaking out, while Maggie stands in shock looking at our dad. I look to him and he's not breathing, and Beth is doing whatever she can think of, but ultimately just yelling for someone to come help.

    I have just about the same reaction as Maggie, shock.

    Lori makes it to the cell and past me at the cells door. She listens to daddy's chest for a heartbeat, but I'm guessing she doesn't find one, because she starts doing CPR while my sisters are crying behind her. I feel tears welling up in my eyes.

    "Come on!" Lori says. We all jump as my dad reaches a hand out and grabs Lori, but Maggie pulls her back. Then he falls back asleep and starts to breathe again. I sigh in relief, and then look to my left to see Carl pointing a gun at my father which scares me but I understand why. He could have turned. I walk away, wanting to be anywhere but there.

Later Kenzie POV~

    Eventually I just sit outside the cell my dad is in, in a chair I pulled up against the wall, reading a book that I found in Beth's bag. Not thinking I could bear to see my father in the condition he's in any longer.

    I hear the cell block being opened. And I look over to see T-dog, Daryl, And Rick returning.

    Rick walks over to the cell, and pats my shoulder as he was walking in.

    "Hershel stopped breathing, mom saved him." I hear Carl say to his father. I look down at the thought of the traumatizing memory.

    My dad not breathing, my sisters crying, Beth yelling for help, and Carl aiming his gun at my dad. I'll never forget those moments. I know it, even though it happened a couple hours ago. It would traumatize any kid my age, but like I've said before I'm gonna have to get used to this traumatic world we live in.

    "It's true." I hear Glenn add.

    "Still no fever." Lori informs. Then it goes quiet for a moment.

    "Daddy?" I then hear Maggie's voice. Followed by Beth's.

    "Daddy! Daddy!" She says then giggles. I feel someone grab my arm And I look to see Glenn. He pulls me into the room. But I shake my head not believing yet that he was okay.

    "It's okay, Kenz. He's awake and seems fine. Look, Rick's taking the cuffs off of him." Glenn explains to me. I look over to see Beth, Maggie, Rick, Lori, and Glenn are smiling. Daddy grabs Rick's hand.

    Maggie and Beth hug, and I smile a little at that, and so does Carl. Rick looks to me.

    "Come here." Rick says. I'm hesitant at first, but I walk over and Rick takes my hand and puts it into daddy's.

    Dad smiles at me, making me smile.

    "You're okay Dad?" I ask him just to be sure.

    "Yeah hun, I'm gonna be okay." He answers me as Maggie kneels by my side at daddy's head, and Beth sits on the bed on my other side by his feet. Being careful of course. "How's that hip of yours?" He smiles again.

    "Daddy! You got your leg cut off. Don't worry about me." I say and giggle.

    "It's my job, sweetie." He chuckles. "How long I been out?"

    "Feels like a long time, but it was probably just over a few hours." Maggie replies. And daddy nods. We talk for a minute and then I decide to leave kissing daddy's cheek before I left.

    I just start wandering around, until I find the door to what looks to be a bridge leading to another cell block. I hear voices.

    "We'll start cleaning tomorrow." I hear Rick say. I'm about to walk away when I hear my name mentioned.

    "Yeah. Yeah, we'll give Carl and Kenzie a safe place to... do whatever they do these days." I hear Lori's voice.

    "For the record, I don't think you're a bad mother."

    "Well, wife is a different story. For better or worse, right? I mean, what are we gonna do, hire lawyers, get divorced and split our assets?" They laugh, and I silently giggle. "We have food, Hershel's alive, today was a good day."

    "He'd be dead if it weren't for you." Rick says to her, making me smile gratefully.

    "You're the one that acted fast, if you hadn't done what you did then... I thought maybe you were coming here to talk about us. Maybe there's nothing to talk about anymore." I tune out the conversation when she mentions their relationship. I shouldn't have been listening in the first place, much less eavesdropping on their love lives. Not like there was much said as Rick just put his hand on her shoulder and then turned to leave. Making me quickly hide not wanting to be seen.

    Rick walks through the door and goes down the steps. For some reason I have a feeling he knows I was there already. Didn't seem to care all that much anyway.

    I look out to see Lori looking sad. I think, she cheered me up earlier. I should try to return the favor.

    I open the door and walk to her. "Lori?" I say.

    She rubs her eyes and looks to me. "Yes, sweetie?"

    "Are you okay?"

    "I'm okay. Just a little sad." She admits. I just walk to her and hug her. "What's this for?"

    "You're sad. And to thank you. Rick's right you saved my dad's life." I say she smiles at me.

    "You heard?"

    "Yeah. I'm sorry I shouldn't have listened..." I quickly apologize.

    "It's fine hun. And I feel much better. Thank you. And I did what had to be done. Anyone else would've done it too." Lori says. I nod.

    "But you did, thank you." I smile up at her.

_______________________________________
Hey hope you guys like this chapter if you did please vote and leave a comment. I'm sorry I haven't left an update in a while. 💖

Chapter ? 👇
(Do you think Rick and Lori were good parents? Why or why not?)

This question was given to me to use by a friend. I personally think they weren't perfect like everyone else. But they cared for Carl and Judith. Even if Lori didn't get to meet Judith she sacrificed her life for her. So yeah I do. (That's my opinion leave yours✌🏻)