"That's because we're from Alderaan," Padme lies.

Her lie is simple, yet exceptionally hard to fault. Even if she found us to be suspicious, there is no way for Doctor Fisher to access the medical files located on Alderaan. Thanks to Padme's quick thinking, we may just get through this appointment.

"That makes more sense than you faking your identities," Doctor Fisher laughs.

Padme and I look at each other awkwardly before laughing along with her. She and I are incredibly smart, yet in this situation, we are proving to be unbelievably stupid. Although I will admit that her plan regarding us being from Alderaan worked better than I initially anticipated.

"Now, what brings you here today, Ani Kestis?" The doctor asks.

I don't immediately answer. Not because the question catches me off guard, rather because I completely forgot that the name I created for myself was Ani Kestis. I am truly the opposite of subtle.

"I believe I may be pregnant," I respond.

The doctor raises her eyebrow at me. Our story so far has an unnecessary amount of twists to steer away from the truth. Now I have to figure out how I, Ani Kestis, ended up pregnant while married to a female.

"And what treatment option did you use?" She asks.

"I'm sure my lovely wife can answer that," Padme responds.

My extensive reading in the Jedi Archives may come in handy yet again. I've read about many things in my time, such as the history of Dathomir and, more recently, the legends of the Old Republic. Somewhere in between that, I have found the time to investigate reproductive treatments.

"Artificial insemination, of course," I state.

Of all the potential treatment options, this would be the easiest to explain under our special circumstances.

"We've been travelling around the galaxy for a while and completely forgot to schedule a check-up," Padme adds.

"You forgot you were artificially inseminated?" She questions.

We both nod unconvincingly. Either Doctor Fisher is either unusually gullible or she simply does not have the energy to argue with the points we are putting forward. Given the fact that she will be paid regardless of whether we are telling the truth, I'm assuming the answer is the latter.

"Can you tell me when the treatment started?" She asks, choosing to go along with our rambling.

Padme raises an eyebrow at me, signalling for me to lead the conversation. The problem is, I don't know what to say. There have been many, many occasions when this could have happened in recent months. Too many to be sure.

"I honestly couldn't tell you," I say, knowing it to be the full truth.

"Right, then I guess we best get started."  Doctor Fisher replies, seeming unimpressed by our inability to remember important details.

I am instructed to strip down to my undergarments for the tests she will be conducting. I look down at my stomach, curious to see if there is a bump of any sort. Much to my surprise, it has not grown at all.

Perhaps this entire thing was just me overthinking.

I lay down on the bed provided wearing nothing more than my undergarments. After spending so much of my life restricted to wearing just Jedi robes in front of others, I feel quite exposed. There have been a few instances where I have worn something other than my robes in front of people, but it is rare; I feel out of place.