Chapter 76

Cal and Ahsoka have now started on their way to Mandalore and our Cruiser has just exited hyperspace. That means we're almost exactly where we need to be to rescue the Chancellor.

We thought this would be a simple rescue mission. Of course, that is not at all the case. Multiple Republic cruisers are here with clone fighters actively battling the Separatist fleet.

It's going to be much, much more difficult than we had anticipated. Then again, everything is in the Clone Wars.

Obi-Wan is already in the hangar preparing his starfighter for battle and Anakin and I are making our way there now. I'm in no rush to help the Chancellor, so I'm making sure we walk a little slower than usual.

Anakin is incredibly chipper after seeing Cal and Ahsoka, and I am too. The only difference is, he does not yet know that they are considering coming back to the Order. I feel like that's something he deserves to know prior to this battle.

"Um," Anakin and I start at the same time.

We stop in the corridor and laugh together for a few seconds.

"Sorry, you go," I say.

"No, no, you go. I insist." Anakin counters.

I consider continuing this argument further, but it would be a waste of time. We have a mission to complete and deciding who should talk first quite simply is not a priority.

"I just need to tell you something before we leave the cruiser." I start.

"I know you love me," He interrupts, as though that is what I was going to say.

To be fair, this is usually what I say to him before we embark on a dangerous mission. Given that he isn't yet aware of my conversation with Cal, he has no reason to suspect otherwise.

"I do, yes," I laugh, "but that's not exactly what I was going to tell you this time."

He raises an inquisitive eyebrow. "Then what?"

I want to go through the entire conversation with him, but I simply lack the time. I will tell him the details when we're back in Coruscant. For now, I only have the time to give him a summary of what was said.

"When I was with Cal, he told me that he wanted to rejoin the Order after the siege of Mandalore," I explain.

"What?" He gasps. "He wants to come back?"

I can see the hope from earlier returning to his blue eyes. He doesn't want to view this as a possibility of Cal returning, but rather a guarantee that they will both be back in our lives. I hope that's how it turns out, not just for their sake, but for Anakin's.

"Yeah," I say with a wide smile. "Ahsoka does too, she was just afraid to say anything earlier. After this mission, after we save the Chancellor, we need to meet with the Council about what needs to be done."

"Of course." He pauses as he tries to contain his smile. "(Y/N), this is incredible!"

I would give anything to see him this happy and hopeful all the time. There is truly no sight I love more than that of my husband smiling. His smile has the power to bring light into even the darkest of times.

"We'll talk more about it after the mission, I promise. For now, what was it that you wanted to tell me?" I ask.

"More like show you," He corrects me.

"If this is going where I think it's going, the answer is no." I joke.

He shakes his head at me and laughs slightly. He would normally find a comment like that much funnier, yet he seems a little anxious. Whatever he wants to show me is stressing him out.