"Take me in there please," she tells the nurse. She isn't prepared for what she sees.

A little girl's eyes widen in shock and excitement when she enters the room.

"Reyhan abla? You're awake! The princess is awake!" she claps her hands in glee. "Emir abi told me you were going to wake up soon and you did!"

"Emir abi?" Reyhan turns back to her nurse, confusion in her eyes.

"This is Ayla," she explains, pushing Reyhan closer to the bed. "She and Emir bey became special friends while you were sleeping."

"Oh. Really?" Reyhan says, not able to hide her surprise. This little girl is who Emir came to see. She can't wrap her mind around that. But she doesn't want to scare the little girl, so she pastes a smile on her face. "Well, it's very nice to meet you, Ayla. Thank you for keeping Emir abi company while I slept. I bet you two had lots of fun."

"Lots and lots," Ayla agrees excitedly.

The little girl seems sweet, Reyhan decides. It's easier to see how she enchanted Emir. She finds that she really is happy to meet Ayla.

Sudden shouts from outside the door scare the little girl and her face goes pale. Reyhan immediately takes her hand and gives it a squeeze. Reyhan recognized one of the voices as Emir's. Apparently, Ayla did too.

"Why is Emir abi yelling at those mean people?"

"What mean people, Sweetheart?"

"The people I live with," she whispers, trying to hide under her covers. "Don't make me go back with them."

Reyhan looks up again at her nurse, again with confusion in her eyes.

"Her foster parents," the nurse whispers.

Reyhan can only assume it's a bad situation for Ayla. She just wants to take the girl and wrap her in her arms.

"Bring her to me," she tells the nurse when Ayla starts crying, the desire to comfort her overwhelming. "It's okay, Tatlım. I've got you."

She strokes the little girl's hair for a while until she settles down.

"Don't make me go back to them," Ayla continues to beg, holding on tight to Reyhan. "Don't make me go back."

Reyhan can't help but wonder what kind of people would be able to terrify a small child like this. Whatever the case, the girl can't go back to them.

"Don't worry, sweetheart. Emir abi will take care of everything," Reyhan promises, hoping she's telling the truth. She's never asked for anything from Emir, but somehow she's going to have to ask him to do this one thing for Ayla.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It didn't take Emir long to convince the police to question the foster parents. After that, the social worker was called. Emir wasn't letting Ayla go back into that home no matter what it takes. Emir sizes the social worker up, trying to get a read on the woman. He can only hope she will want what's best for Ayla.

"Defne Batuk," the social worker introduces herself, offering her hand to shake. She shakes first the police officer's hand and then Emir's. "Emir Tarhun, correct? May I ask what your interest is in this case?"

"My interest is Ayla's well being," he snaps at her before realizing he needs to calm down. "Excuse me, I'm a little upset. But what happened to Ayla is very distressing."

"How do you know Ayla?" Defne asks curiously.

"My wife is a patient in this hospital," Emir explains. "I met Ayla one day and we became fast friends. When she got sick and needed the surgery her foster parents wouldn't pay for, I paid for it. Please tell me she won't have to go back with those people."