Chapter 21

Reyhan is still in shock when Emir returns to the room. She's not sure how long it's been since the doctor left after telling her that life changing news.

Ben hamileyim, she says to herself, trying to make herself believe it. She gently lays a hand on her belly and smiles. She's pregnant. She's going to have a baby.

The doctor had to do an ultrasound before she would believe it. She still has the grainy image in her hand and can't help but stare in awe at it. The first picture of her baby.

"You'll never believe it," Emir says, running to her bedside. She manages to tuck the ultrasound image into the pocket of her robe before he sees it. This is special news and deserves a special announcement. She'll tell him when the time is right. Besides, the excitement in his voice is making her curious. He seems to have good news too. His next words confirm it and has her trying to get out the bed.

"Ayla," he smiles, taking her hand and pressing it to his racing heart. "She's here. They found her and she's here."

Reyhan looks around him, expecting to see Ayla at the door. She squeezes his hand anxiously when she can't find the girl.

"Where? Bring her in. Why didn't you bring her in with you?"

He lets out a deep breath and she knows she's not going to like what she's about to hear.

"She's here, but she's sick," he tells her.

Reyhan goes pale.

"She's fine," Emir quickly adds. "But you know she's been off her medication for a few days. So the doctors need to look her over right now."

"Take me to her," Reyhan says, finally managing to get out the bed. She rushes around the room trying to find her clothes, getting frustrated when she can't seem to think straight. "I have to go to her."

Emir grabs her and pulls her to his chest.

"Shh! Sakin ol. Calm down, Sweetheart," he says, trying to sooth her. "I told you. Ayla is here and she's fine."

He helps her to quickly dress after she's calmed down some. Taking her hand, they walk out the door. She puts a hand on her stomach and bites her lip nervously. Hold on, my little one. We're about to go get your sister. She briefly wonders again if maybe she should tell Emir. But again decides against it. Not now. She'll tell him later. Right now, she has to get to Ayla.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Melisa sees them before they see her. They're walking hand in hand. A united front. A couple in love. She doesn't know why she could never see it before. She doesn't know why she allowed herself to believe she ever had a chance with him.

When Emir finally becomes aware of her, he narrows his eyes and storms towards her. He grabs her and gives her a hard shake that leaves her teeth rattling. Thankfully, Reyhan pulls him away. All it takes is her hand on him, and his haze of fury is broken.

"She's not important right now," Reyhan says to Emir, completely ignoring Melisa. Melisa doesn't know whether to be relieved or offended.

The two turn their back on Melisa and look into Ayla's room, again becoming that unbreakable unit. And again Melisa mentally slaps herself for being so oblivious.

The doctor comes out to speak to them, explaining how Melisa brought her in on time. Ayla has been started on her medication again and will need to stay in the hospital for a few days until she's done with it all. But she'll be fine. The doctor tells them he needs a few more minutes and then they'll be able to go in with Ayla and stay as long as they want.