Chapter 30

Reyhan is still sleeping the next morning when Ayla gets home, so Emir lets her continue to sleep. He stands to the door, his finger on his lip to signal Ayla to say quiet, but lets the girl peek into the room to see her mother.

"Let's make her breakfast," Ayla suggests, giggling when Emir sweeps her up into his arms and tosses her in the air.

"That's a good idea." Emir smiles and presses a kiss to both of her cheeks. It's only been a few days, but he missed his little girl.

If someone had told him even a year ago that he'd be a father, he would have just laughed at them. Yes, he had just married Reyhan, but he wasn't trying to build a family with her at the time. And it wasn't just about Reyhan or his father forcing their marriage. He frankly hadn't wanted to be married to anyone. Let alone starting a family. But here they are now. His wife is his life. His daughter is the best thing that has ever happened to them. They have a little one on the way. And he couldn't be happier.

They decide to make pancakes, Ayla a surprisingly helpful assistant in the kitchen. She spends a lot of time cooking with Reyhan, so none of this is new to her. Before he knows it, the food is done and they're preparing a tray to take to Reyhan. But she surprises them when she steps through the door.

"Mommy!"

Ayla goes running to her, unable to contain her excitement.

"Good morning, my angel," Reyhan smiles, running her hand through Ayla's hair. She walks as best she can to the couch with Ayla all but wrapped around her legs. Once they get to the couch, she pulls Ayla onto her lap. "Do I smell pancakes?"

"Daddy and I cooked them!" Ayla proudly announces. "Mine has chocolate chips."

"I can see that," Reyhan laughs, wiping chocolate from the corner of Ayla's mouth. "Looks like you snuck a few chocolate chips when Daddy wasn't looking."

But then she looks up at a guilty looking Emir and sees a bit of chocolate around his mouth too. She just shakes her head. Her two mischief makers will definitely find trouble. But she wouldn't have it any other way. They're a handful, but they make her happy.

After her mother died, she didn't give much thought to her future. So when her uncle approached her with his request to marry Emir, she was hesitant. Reluctant even. But at the end of the day, she agreed. And once she made the decision, she told herself she could live with whatever happened. She assumed she'd be happy enough, able to live a satisfactory life. She wasn't asking for, or expecting, much. She figured she would be ... comfortable. She was willing to settle for even the smallest modicum of comfort. She never imagined she'd be as happy as she is now. She never dreamed Emir would be her everything. Or that tiny girl in her arms would bring so much joy to their lives. She laughs when she feels the nudge from within, placing her hand on her belly.

No, little one. I haven't forgotten about you. You are my soul.

This baby will be the best of both her and Emir. He comes to sit next to her, covering her hand with his own. The baby gives a kick, as if to acknowledge him. Such a perfect moment that she doesn't want to end. But unfortunately like all other good things, it does.

"Emir bey."

They look up when one of the maids calls his name. She says words that succeed in ruining their perfect moment.

"Your mother is here."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Emine stares across the top of her cup of coffee at the woman sitting across from her. Cavidan Tarhun. Emine almost can't believe she had the nerve to show up here. But then again, Cavidan Tarhun seems to have more nerve than sense.