Chapter Forty-Five

Start from the beginning

“So what, you want to use that to manipulate her?” Jackson asked.

“Well, no… but maybe…” Stiles said.

“What the hell does that mean?”

“I get the impression that she gets manipulated a lot, and the other guy, Cal, he’s a real jerk―”

“I’m sorry, are you sympathising with the kidnapper? Again?”

“Maybe I am, you haven’t seen everything, okay? I don’t want to tear her down but I think she is our best shot at getting out of here alive,” he said. “I’m not even sure she knows Isaac’s a werewolf.”

“Yeah well it’s not exactly something you go around telling everyone,” Jackson said.

“So does that mean―”

“No,” Jackson said, cutting him off and looking over at him.

“You don’t even know what I was going to―”

“I haven’t told Danny and right now I don’t want to either,” he said.

Stiles nodded, “Right, why not?”

“Stiles, why do you think you’re here?” he said with a raised eyebrow. “You’re human, if you weren’t involved with werewolves you wouldn’t be here.”

“I know, but I also know that he’s getting sick and tired of feeling like you’re lying to him.”

“This is getting a little too personal for a hostage situation.”

“What else are we going to talk about?” Stiles asked.

“How about you get some sleep and I’ll wake you us when I hear them coming back,” he said.

Stiles sighed. He could tell that Jackson was trying to be considerate, that he could obviously see how tired he was. Stiles knew that he was covered in bruises, he could feel them on his skin, he didn’t need to see them.

As much of an ass as Jackson was, Stiles could see the concern on his face and knew that his bruises must have been worse than he first thought.

“I don’t think I can sleep. Even if I could, it’d be uncomfortable and restless and my ass is asleep as it is,” he said and Jackson managed to crack a smile.

“Fucking warehouse flooring, you’d think they could have at least got a couple of chairs in here,” he said.

Stiles smiled. “Maybe a couch, a mini-bar,” he shrugged.

“Could do with a flat-screen,” Jackson said and Stiles actually managed to laugh before realising that it hurt his sides to do so.

“Do you think Scott’s going to be okay?” Stiles asked and this time it was Jackson’s turn to sigh.

“I might not be an optimist, and I hate admitting that McCall is good at anything… but if anyone can figure out how to make this go his way, it’s probably him.”

“This is probably the only time I’m ever going to hope you’re right,” Stiles said, changing his position.

Sadly it did nothing to quell the twisting of knots in his stomach.

Erica tapped her foot loudly as she dialled the number for Isaac’s phone.

“Pick up you idiot,” she said and Boyd just gave her a look as he tried to scoop up what was left of Derek’s.

“You know that doesn’t help,” he said.

“Well it doesn’t hurt anyone,” she snapped.

“What?” Erica jumped as Isaac’s voice came through the line.