Chapter Forty-Six

A/N: Hey guys, I know it's been a long time but I didn't want to update until I was happy with this and it's taken a while - but it's a long chapter! Thank you so much for all your kind words and thoughts, honestly it meant so much to me. Thanks guys!

~ ~ ~

Stiles was dropping in and out of sleep, the lack of comfort making it impossible to get more than ten minutes of rest at a time.

Jackson was still keeping his ears honed in to any sounds in the hopes someone was coming for them. He watched over Stiles too, knowing that something had to be done soon because humans couldn’t put up with this sort of thing for too long, especially not when Cal was dishing out beatings the way he was.

Jackson noticed that Cassie was a little more lenient. She gave Stiles water, tossed him the occasional piece of food. Jackson, of course, had gotten nothing since arriving, and he didn’t expect that to change.

It had been almost an hour before he heard the sound of tyres pulling up nearby.

“Stiles,” he said as he tried to listen in.

“What?” he said sleepily, looking up with tired eyes.

“They’re back,” he said.

Stiles tried to sit up a little more, wincing in pain as he did and Jackson turned his head to the door.

It took a few minutes before Cal kicked through the doors, lugging a body over his shoulder and throwing it to the ground besides Jackson. As he chained it up and drew the line of mountain ash around it, Cassie walked in.

Her face was dirty and her eyes were unfocussed as she went and leant her hands on the table. Stiles thought she looked like she was going to be sick.

“Stay here while I get the other one,” Cal said, walking past her and back out the door.

“Scott?” Jackson said and Stiles’ heart thudded in his chest.

“He’s alive right, he is?” he said.

“They wouldn’t have chained him if he wasn’t,” Jackson said. “He’s breathing, just passed out.”

Stiles looked up at Cassie whose hands were clearly shaking. She was gritting her teeth and had her eyes squeezed tightly shut. Without warning she let out a loud scream, followed by a few quiet sobs before she was pulling the knife out of her holster and throwing it across the room, thankfully in the opposite direction to the three of them.

Jackson and Stiles locked eyes for a moment before turning their attention back to her. She was breathing heavily, her nostrils flaring and her eyes red and glassy. Neither of them could tell whether she was seething with rage or heartbroken.

She started pacing, muttering to herself, like something had taken over her body and she was fighting to keep it inside. It was something they all knew too well, it was denial.

“No, no, no…” she whispered. “No, no…”

Jackson raised an eyebrow at Stiles who just watched her carefully until they heard Cal coming in with another body over his shoulder, throwing this one far more callously onto the ground than he had the last.

It was Isaac.

“Get the chains,” he barked at her and she looked up, strands of hair falling over her dirty face.

She gave him a glare but did it, grabbing what was left from the corner and walking slowly over to him, staring down at Isaac’s limp body before Cal was snatching them out of her hands.