Sweet interruptions (Chapter 19)

Giddean:

Something tickles my noise and it twitches.

Sweetness fills my lungs and I open my eyes.

In front of my face is a mass of brown hair. Ivy curled into my front, sleeping serenely.

It's the sweetest morning I've experienced. I've never slept next to anyone, and it makes me feel a deep sense of contentment. I breathe in her light rose scent again and I feel at peace. I can't control the smile that appears on my face.

Sweet and hot. Fuck, I never realized how warm it is to have another person in your bed. I feel sweat dripping off my back. It feels like the blankets are slowly strangling me and, goddess, like Ivy is the dying embers of a fireplace on the bed next to me.

I decide to make my move for freedom. My arm is underneath her so I give Ivy a little hug before rolling her gently away. She mews cutely in her sleep which almost makes me rethink my escape. I pause, praying to the goddess she goes back to sleep. The god and goddess know I tired her out last night....

I feel my face pull into an even wider smile. I'm sure I'm smiling like a fucking moron.

I slowly pull my arm out from underneath the sleeping woman. Freedom.

Against all reason, I lean down and kiss her on the forehead. She moves a little before drifting back to sleep. I should do something nice for her. Maybe I should take her to the countryside for the weekend? She's never been out there, we could walk through fields and look at animals and shit. Or maybe I should buy her some jewelry? Women like that...

I slowly sit up and place my feet on the floor, trying my best not to make any sudden movements. I lean forward and slowly lift my ass off the bed. I stand and move one foot forward and then the next, making my way towards the door and towards my morning mushroom coffee.

Maybe I should surprise Ivy with breakfast in bed? That sounds like something romantic. Or... I could make Ivy breakfast and then bring it to her. I take another step towards the door. I haven't cooked in a while but I use to make a mean wuk cheese...

Suddenly there is a knock at the door and I stand perfectly still, only turning my head to see if it woke Ivy.

Relief fills my system- Ivy lays on the bed still sleeping. I take a deep breath before taking another step towards the door...

Another knock, louder this time.

"Wha-?" A soft voice says sleepily from the bed.

I look at the bed and see Ivy slowly sitting up, blinking rapidly as though that would wipe the sleep away from her sight. It's... cute. I almost want to return to the bed and take her drowsy form in my arms.

Fuck the bastard who woke her up. I growl lowly as a stride to the door and throw it open.

On the other side is James, his eyes round when he sees my angry face, he begins to cower. Good.

"Uh, Good morning..." James' eyes shift away from mine and he tries to look around me. No doubt he wants to be the one with the gossip to tell the staff.

"What the fuck is it?" I demand. I'm not given to being irritable in the morning but, for fucks sake, did he have to wake me up today of all mornings?

"Uh, well, I just received a stack of papers from the Master Priest..." James' eyes continue to roam as though if he just got the angle right he could get a peek into the room. I growl again. Did he fucking wake me up in an attempt to confirm rumors among the household staff?

I run my hand down my face. Fuck, well I guess the Master Priest took our talk seriously. I should look through what the priest sent before I submit my request for floor time, but I hate to cut short my morning with Ivy.

I twist and take a look at Ivy. She is still sitting up in the bed, using the sheets to cover herself. Her hair is a mess, tangled, and pushed to one side. Her wide eyes are round as she looks up at me.

Fuck, I hate to wreck what could be a morning spent together- a list of abuses by the High Priest doesn't exactly make great pillow talk. Then again, Ivy has strong feelings about the religion; maybe her seeing me actively work against the High Priest will endear her to me- smoothing over our past arguments which will no doubt come back at some point if I know anything about women.

I see Ivy's eyes shift and I turn to see James has moved to the side of the doorway to see her. Fuck my life, I woke up in a great mood and James always manages to ruin it. I turn so that I blocking the door and James's view again.

"Get Andrew to bring in breakfast and bring whatever shit the priest has sent in here"

James' eyes slide around me as if to look in doubt at Ivy.

"Is there a fucking problem?" I know I'm glaring at him, but fuck me, I need better staff.

"No-oo" James replies as his eyes shift back to me.

"Good" I give him a look "go"

I don't even wait to see James scurry off to do what I asked. I spin, shutting the door behind me.

"So, I have some explaining to do"

*****

Hi guys!

Just a reminder that Scheming Against Devotion is COMPLETE on my patreon page and you can read ahead for 3 Euros a month (+taxes, multiple currencies available).

If you are interested check it out at https://www.patreon.com/heatherjacobs

Happy reading!

Heather