41: Terms and Conditions, Sprints and Confessions

Start from the beginning

"What?" I pant, sprinting after him. He's gaining because I'm tired from the workout but I refuse to give up that fast. 

"Are we dating? Is that what happens now?"

"Are we really talking about this now?" I tap the end line on the other side and head back on the long sprint. 

"Yeah, I see no better time." He passes me in the other direction. "I mean, we're here, together, alone."

"Mostly alone, Nico's outside."

"Nico's on a phone call." He shrugs, giving me a high five as we pass again. "So are we dating yes or no? I just wanna be able to tell my mom I have a boyfriend, that would be cool."

"Yes, please." I respond. "You can call me your boyfriend if you want."

"So, we're doing the whole thing, mutually exclusive, dates, kissing, all that shit?" He's clearly out of breath but that ADHD brain of his can't do one thing and that's shut up. Not even while he's asleep. 

"Yep." I pant. "Dating."

"Okay, I'll be honest with you because I'm not sure you got it when I said it earlier, I've never done any of this before." he starts off on the second full suicide while I'm tapping the last line on my first. 

"Yeah, you said that, but I didn't pay attention really, what do you mean by it?" My lungs are screaming but I can't not ask now that he's put it on the table for me. "Like, how much experience do you lack here."

"I've only ever had week long relationships and those were either with girls or in like early elementary school. Kelly is it and then I had a kindergarten girlfriend but we both know that doesn't count." 

I screech to a stop, staring at him as he runs. "You're going to tell me that... that... was your first? And I didn't do anything special for that? And I didn't know?"

"Listen," he stops on the other side. "I didn't want you to do anything you wouldn't have done if you knew. At this point, at twenty three and a fucking pro athlete it's straight up embarrassing that I've never had sex."

I let out a breath, sucking it in as fast as it came out to try to get some damn oxygen into my body. "it's not embarrassing." 

He gives me the weirdest look. "Are you kidding? Yes it is! Steph lost his fucking virginity like three weeks after we became friends, yours was gone when you were still in high school, Fen lost his at what, sixteen? I'm literally twenty three and your the first guy I've ever kissed. My rice purity score is in the fucking nineties."

"Who-" I pause. "I'll tell you one god damn thing right now, Miloš, one thing I need you to drill into that tiny hyperactive brain of yours. Virginity means fucking nothing and I'd take mine back to be able to lose it to you in fucking seconds. I'm sick of people acting like it's a big deal to have sex. It's not, it's just a thing that people do. Your self worth should not revolve around it, it's barely relevant in the grand scheme of things, hell, I was blind drunk when I lost mine, I don't remember a single detail. You need to stop thinking you're going to be taken less seriously because you lack experience in one spot. I can't play a banjo but I could tell someone if they were holding it upside down. You've never been in a relationship and yet you coached me into approaching it the right way." 

He just sighs, sitting down on the floor, staring at his hands. "It's just embarrassing."

"It's not!" I throw my hands in the air. "Rocket, please, god, you're so stubborn."

The door creaks open. "Alright, thanks Dan, yeah, got it." Nico hangs up to see me with my hands on my hips, standing a full gym apart from my boyfriend who's sitting on the floor and picking at something on his hand. "Arguing? Already? That's a record."