35: Matyáš

this is wicked long so buckle up

ROCKET

And that's what led me to be standing in a small coffee shop in Prague, five hours later. Five hours.

I forget how small Europe is sometimes.

Five hours later, a coffee in my fingers, all my shit in a rental car, finger hovering over a text.

rocket-stojanovic: hi Matyáš, i know it's been like 8 years since i've talked to you but I was wondering if you and Jan were still around home area, I'm in Prague for a little bit and I wanna say hi

It's a lie. Some of it. I made it sound like I was not really in the country to see them but I am. I'm in the country to go home and they're completely entwined with that.

I hit send by accident. My phone kinda slipped and there it went. He's active on instagram, I know that, it's got the little green dot next to his profile photo.

I don't think I follow him anymore, which, is a little heartbreaking but things happen over time.

His text bubble pops up in a few moments.

matyas1nvk: where are you in prague? I can drop by and catch up, I just got off work for the day.

rocket-stojanovic: really? awesome, I just got off the plane, I'm out in Smíchov by the river.

matyas1nvk: lucky you, I live in New Town area. I can meet you in Karlovo náměstí if you want.

rocket-stojanovic: it's been years since I've been here you'll be lucky if I don't get lost, but yeah, I can be there in 15

matyas1nvk: fantastic, and then when you get here i've got quite a long list of questions starting with how the hell did you end up in pro hockey

rocket-stojanovic: ;)

Paying for coffee is one of the most embarrassing experiences of my life.

I handed this poor woman a disgusting combination of quarters, toonies and euros, kroner, krona and the koruna I managed to get to try to pay the cents on my coffee so she didn't have to do the hard math.

"Lord I'm never going to live this down," I mutter under my breath, stuffing the change in my pocket and nodding to her, heading out with my cup of coffee.

I do get lost, but that's because my stubborn ass decides I don't need a map to cross a river, spoiler alert, I did.

I had parked the car in a garage somewhere near the coffee and decided to leave it, it was relatively within walking distance. I still stare at my phone and my google maps that's telling me that it's going to take 19 minutes and I mentally decide that I am above the internet. So, like I normally do with driving, I take 20% off that time, getting there in roughly fifteen minutes.

It's one of my bigger weaknesses as a person, cities. I adored living in Boston, it was vibrant, tied up with history and bright, Gothenburg with Håkon was similar, so was Oslo, though I don't remember much.

Regina? Uh.

I won't comment.

Prague is just like that, just like I remember, really. It's strong and it's so damn historical it makes Boston look like a preteen city, which, it is, I guess. Living a half hour outside of Prague for the greater half of my life doesn't prepare me to see it again with adult eyes. I just with I had Håkon here.

I have no idea who the hell I'm looking for. I remember Matyáš, he was short, a bit stocky, and one of the best wingmen on our youth hockey team, but I was 13 the last time I saw him in person, I can't imagine he looks the same.