Chapter Three ; The man behind the curtain

The dawn used to bring much distress to Dream.

The sun shining in his eyes meant that it was time to move, for he couldn't stay in a single place for more than a day. It also meant that another day has passed since his entire life changed, with each day making it harder and harder to go back.

Nowadays the dawn didn't have as much meaning as it used to.

The job the king assigned him didn't demand him to wake up with the sun. In fact, most days he just slept in since it didn't even feel like a job.

Although officially he was deemed Technoblade's knight, his real duty was to simply stay next to the king wherever he went. Dream guessed he was more of a status symbol than anything else, to be paraded around like a trophy. He didn't mind it as much as he thought he would, for he was awarded the same luxuries as the king himself, high-class dining, a spacious room, even bathing in the king's quarters, something not even the previous queen was allowed to do. He was content with his job, especially when during their training sessions every morning.

The knock of wood rang loud as they fought in the garden. They were both tired and sweaty, yet the big grins on their faces urged them to keep going.

"Come on! Admit you're wrong!" Dream laughed, running from Techno past the trees, "Your hair looks like trash!"

"You little-" Dream suddenly turned around and slid under Techno's legs. In one swoop motion, the knight tripped Techno and stood up, panting as he dusted off his hands.

"You want to go again?"

The king grumbled, staying with his face planted in the grass, unwilling to get up. Dream sighed and held out his hand for him, chuckling when Techno reluctantly took it.

"You're getting better." The king adjusted the crown on his head, "I wish I could stay but I have a meeting with the lords at noon."

Dream looked towards the sun and realized its been hours since they started, "Do you need me to come with?"

Techno shook his head, his eyes downcast, "The uprising has begun."

Emerald green eyes widened, "But you said there were three months!"

"The resistance's plan has changed. My spy told me they're attacking during the full moon." Techno said, his voice unsure.

Dream put down his wooden sword, "That's in two weeks..."

Technoblade sighed and unbuttoned the top half of his shirt to relieve the heat. Dream's eyes immediately landed on his chest, which was strewn with battle scars. "That doesn't matter. We must prepare for what's to come."

The king picked up his robe and threw it over his shoulder, "I'll expect you to guard the throne room."

The knight sighed and mimicked an over-the-top bow at him, "Yes, your highness."

Techno snorted and playfully tapped on Dream's head with his fist, "It's 'majesty' to you." He said, no real malice in his words.

Dream shot him a mischievous grin, "Go on now."

The king nodded at him, straightening up. With that, he left, leaving Dream to wonder about this new development.

---

The throne room was a quiet place this time of day. The servants were busy preparing for dinner arrangements and the guards were silently patrolling outside. As Dream sat on a soft chair near the throne, he understood why the throne room had to be kept safe. It was a status symbol for all monarchs to lavish in their own wealth. This particular one was adorned in gold and peach-colored walls, with tall windows that brilliantly showed off the afternoon sun.