Chapter Four ; When push comes to shove

Thunder cracked outside; the wind howled along with it as the harsh raindrops splashed onto the castle's windows, casting a grim shadow over the meeting going on inside its walls.

"We cannot keep him here! We're a week away from a revolution and you want us to put ourselves in even more danger because of a little crush you have?!"

The generals beside the king tensed, but it was obvious that they thought the same.

Having Dream at the round table while they talked about him was awkward, but it didn't seem to deter the knight from speaking his mind.

"You are putting everyone at stake here! If you really cared about your people you'd think for a second and throw him out! Or even better, execute him already!"

Technoblade seemed to be listening to the knight's rant, his face staying as stoic as always. Dream wondered if the king heard the words being spouted since he did tend to float off into a world of his own sometimes. His suspicions were confirmed when Techno flinched at particularly loud thunder outside, probably snapping him out of his daydreaming.

The king cleared his throat, stopping the knight, Purple? Or was it Purples? Dream couldn't remember. The king spoke, "I understand what you mean," He doesn't, Dream can tell, "But I'm afraid I cannot take your suggestion into consideration right now." Was this how the king went about every meeting he had? No wonder the generals were always irritated afterward.

Technoblade threw a stack of papers onto the table, the pages messy with notes and small doodles. "We are on the verge of an uprising. Some individuals believe they are more worthy for the throne." He pulled out three loose papers from the stack, revealing three wanted posters of rugged-looking men.

He pointed towards the one with sunglasses, "One of them is Eret," Technoblade's face soured, "As you already know, he has caused more than enough trouble for our kingdom after unsuccessfully trying to claim the throne several times, but this time he's got company." Everyone nodded in agreement, muttering amongst themselves. Dream vaguely remembers Eret, the man saved the ex-assassin from certain death, but in turn betrayed his comrades, who had been dead-set on killing Dream. The knight vaguely remembered Eret's comrades especially the tall, stern man and his obnoxious and energetic little helper. He wonders if they have anything to do with the uprising, though he doesn't understand how Eret could be connected.

Techno's hand hovered over to the next poster of a man with horns and a mutton chop beard. "Jschlatt has been found lingering near Eret's base. I don't know how he is involved in this coup but it can't be any good." The king looked at the man's face with disdain, "Although he looks like a useless drunk man, his history with conquering nations says otherwise."

The generals and knights were visibly shaken by this news. Dream didn't really understand, throughout his years in the criminal underworld Schlatt was nothing more than a nuisance. Perhaps the man's prowess and irrational confidence was to blame. The only thing of interest was the power of the book he had, which was rumored to grant the beholder Immortality. Dream doubts its real, but it doesn't hurt to be cautious.

Techno pointed at the last poster with a look of disdain. "Last but definitely not least," This seemed to be the most shocking of all, surprising even Dream, "A man known only as Mr. Beast. Rumours have been going around that him and his lackeys have been the ones starting riots. Something about him being a better leader than me." He knows the man very well, wealthy and mysterious, he's ordered many assassinations from Dream and his friends before they split up. As far as the ex-assassin is aware, Mr. Beast was the one who could have paid a sum high enough for his friends to decide to kill him. Having him attack the kingdom will not end well, especially when he has an army of supporters. Techno's face shared the same nervous frown as Dream did, confirming that the king knew the dangerous man too.