Ch. 1

Soft beams of sunlight seeped through the heavy silk curtains, coating the spacious room in a blanket of light. Its orange rays projected onto Zaria's porcelain face, coaxing her eyes to flutter open. Although Zaria winced at the light, she embraced its warmth and comfort. Rising from her canopy bed, Zaria unraveled herself out of her silk sheets and stepped out of her canopy bed. A slight chill ran through her veins as her feet delicately met the cool flooring of her room. She pushed the feeling aside and made her way to her vanity table's chair, where an oversized cream cardigan rested on top. She draped the cardigan over her short, lace-trimmed, light pink nightgown and slipped her feet into a pair of fluffy bedroom slippers. She returned to the grand bay window, her steps soft and delicate as she did so.

Zaria cracked the bay window open and immediately met the cool, early morning summer breeze. She stayed seated near it despite the chilly breeze. She thought the outdoors was strangely calming: the chirping birds, the rustling leaves, and the estate's gardeners attending to the vibrant and luscious garden below her window. The tranquility of early summer mornings was a form of escapism for Zaria. Watching the sunrise and finding solace in nature's beauty and grace was a temporary cure for her complicated life.

Despite the past few months of summer, which were meant to be leisurely, Zaria was still busy. Her grandparents, Celine and Gabriel Harrington, were two esteemed members of elite society. They were constantly at the forefront of highly sought-after social events. Aside from their wealth and legacies, the old couple was known for hosting and attending the most high-profile dinner parties, soirees, and charity events.

Zaria's living with her grandparents meant that she was required to accompany them to these events. But she wasn't troubled by their expectations. The more she attended these prestigious events, the more predictable they were, and with time, she became used to it. Guests would always shower her with compliments about her beauty and talent and express their admiration for her grandparents for having such an admirable granddaughter.

The attendees, who were mostly peers and associates of Celine and Gabriel, matched her grandparents' age, manner of speaking, and interests. Thus, they are a far cry from the eccentric, damaging, and scandalous Manhattan teenagers that were once part of Zaria's life.

Westchester, which was where she lived with her grandparents on their massive ancestral estate, had its own set of overprivileged teenagers and scandals. Though they paled in comparison to the ones in Manhattan, which made Zaria feel at ease, it was comforting to know that if her business were to ever venture out of the confines of her grandparents or friends, it would reach a far smaller handful of ears than it would in a place like New York with its bustling network of gossip. Westchester offers peace. It was the perfect antidote to the traumatizing world that was her reality in New York.

The sun soon rose, and Zaria once again turned away from her window and moved towards her room to get ready for the day.

Before moving in, Zaria's room at the estate had only been for visits, so the room remained relatively the same for years. The room's decor was unapologetically feminine, with a color palette consisting of light pink, beige, lilacs, etc. The room also bore remnants of her childhood, as it was adorned with an array of stuffed animals, priceless dolls, playsets, and a collection of awards from her earlier days of ballet, figure skating, and horseback riding.

Once Zaria moved in, her grandmother suggested renovating the room, an idea Zaria initially resisted. The youthful and nostalgic space provided her with comfort. Nevertheless, her grandmother went through with the renovation so the room could reflect Zaria's maturation.

Since Celine respected her granddaughter's memories and affection for her childhood room, the new room was crafted with a delicate touch. The room was infused with elements that spoke of Zaria's transformation into a sophisticated young woman and a traditionally feminine aesthetic.