Chapter 18 The Bloody Door

Start from the beginning

"But what of your mother?" Sophie had asked Rhian in return. "If I leave before we're married, she'll be gone to you forever."

Rhian had smiled sadly at her, taking her hand in his own to squeeze it reassuringly. He'd already lost his mother long ago and now he felt like he lost his brother too. One of the only reasons Rhian wanted to bring him and Japeth's mother back from the dead was because he thought Evelyn Sader would make Japeth happy. Now that he knew Japeth never wanted their mother back in the first place, what was the point in fulfilling the prophecy?

Rhian had already lost so much. But he'd call off the wedding entirely and let Sophie leave Camelot if it meant setting her free. Even if setting Sophie free meant losing her just like he'd lost Japeth, Rhian would gladly do it over and over again.

So that's exactly what Rhian did; He called off the wedding in order to reassure Sophie that he wasn't going to rush her into anything she didn't want to do and gave her the choice to leave Camelot if she wanted to.

But, by some miracle, Sophie had decided to stay. It was like Sophie couldn't bring herself to leave Rhian behind after everything he'd been through. He'd endured suffering from having to throw his brother in the Camelot dungeons, and although Sophie obviously hated Japeth, it was like a part of her understood Rhian's love for his twin. In a way, she understood his pain and wished to unburden him from the weight he felt at what he'd done.

Rhian had done so many wrongs before. He'd deceived, betrayed, and lied to Tedros, Sophie, and all their friends. Luckily, he'd made up for those mistakes by calling off the execution. But Rhian's biggest regret was abandoning Japeth in his time of need. Japeth had needed Rhian more than ever to show compassion to him and bring Aric back, and instead Rhian had abandoned him behind just like their mother had once abandoned them behind.

Rhian had wanted to believe that Japeth could change his mind given enough time. Rhian wanted to have hope that Japeth could let Aric go, but those hopes had been futile. Perhaps though Japeth's love for Aric was all Rhian's fault, because if Rhian had never been so distant from Japeth in Arbed, Japeth would've never felt the need to grow as close to Aric as he did.

"Sire?" A voice snapped Rhian from his thoughts.

Rhian had been standing in the throne room lost in thought. He found that ever since Japeth left Camelot four days ago, his mind wandered more frequently. At times, Rhian seemed to be so lost in his own head that he couldn't focus on his kingly duties. And now it seemed that he was so lost in his thoughts that he couldn't hear someone when they snuck up behind him.

"What is it, Kei?" Rhian asked, seeing his Captain of the Guard standing there.

"I know it's not my place to speak of such matters, but..." Kei's response was vague, and Rhian took note of the nervousness in Kei's tone.

"Just say it," Rhian told him, giving him an understanding look. "It's like you've forgotten all that time we spent together in Arbed House. And I know things have changed since than, that we've changed, but it doesn't change the fact I still see you as a valued friend, Kei."

Kei's cheeks reddened in a blush, and he bashfully bent his head as if to hide his embarrassment. For a moment, despite all the craziness Rhian had endured, Rhian found a small smile tracing his lips. In that moment, it's like they weren't in Camelot at all, Nor were they King and Knight. No. In that precise moment, Rhian and Kei were back in Arbed House, two friends who'd always dreamed of having something more than what they already had.

"I'm worried about you is all," Kei admitted at last, rubbing his hands together. "Ever since...since Japeth left, you've been slipping. You no longer perform the duties in the manner you should be, and I only bring this up because as you said, our friendship is still there within the both of us. I tell you this as your friend, not your Captain of the Guard."