𝐍𝐞𝐰 𝐝𝐨𝐫𝐦 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐚𝐩𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐢𝐞𝐬

Liliana's POV

"What do you mean you already knew?!"

Hermione merely look at me with bored expression. I had found Hermione in the Gryffindor girl's dorm, thankfully alone, after the little "meeting" with Malfoy and the headmistress. Apparently, Hermione wasn't that surprised by the revelation . How does everyone know things before I do?!

"It's kind of obvious, Lil. And we took Care of Magical Creatures, this year. If you had read the book, one of the first few thing we were going to learn is Veelas." Hermione said, getting up and rummaging through her trunk as if searching for something.

I flop down onto my bed rather ungracefully. It still didn't fit right. The Draco Malfoy is my mate?! Which sane person on earth would've guessed that?! I groan into my pillow in frustration, everything is so confusing.

Is Malfoy genuinely in love with me? No. That's ridiculous, it's probably just the Veela in him. For some reason, the thought of Malfoy only bearing with me because I'm his mate hurt more than it was supposed to. No, I shake my head, reprimanding myself. I'm only doing this so no one else has to die because of me.

"Hey Mione," I raise my head from the pillows. "Is it possible to reject a Veela and still keep them alive?"

Hermione raised her eyebrows at me in questioning manner. "Who told you they'd die?"

"Professor McGonagall mentioned something about it. She said that Malfoy would die within 24 hours if I rejected him," I shrugged.

Hermione cocked her head to one side, her eyebrows knitted together and frown playing on her lips. " She meant that they'd die mentally, not physically. As in lack of emotions, he'll probably give up on his emotions, which have huge consequences. It's almost as bad as dying. Why? Are thinking of rejecting him?"

I shrugged again, unsure of my own answer. Some part of me didn't mind being paired up with him, but the other part of me didn't want to be stuck with a person, who'll never truly love me, forever.

"Maybe," I mumbled after a few beats of silence.

"Lily," Hermione started softly. From the tone of her voice, I knew she was about to give me one her motherly support lectures. Suddenly I felt anger take over me, an emotion that I've been trying to abandon since the end of the war.

"No. It's not fair, Mione. I don't want another person to die because of me, but I don't want to be stuck with someone who w-won't love me." I mentally curse myself for stuttering, but the words were out of my mouth before I could even reconsider.

Hermione walked over to my bed and sat down at the foot of the bed. She sighed softly and placed a hand on my shoulders. My face was still buried in my pillow.

"Lils, you don't have to if you don't want to. And I think he does like, I've seen the way he's looked at before this whole Veela ordeal. I suspected something was up, and now it makes sense," She said comfortingly. 

Easy for you to say, youn and Ron have perfect relationship. I thought bitterly. But almost immediately regretted the thought.

"Why aren't you angry with me? Why aren't you upset that I've been paired with the boy who's been bullying us for years?!" I sit up, staring at Hermione. She was supposed to be upset that I was destined to live with the boy who'd bullied her all her life. This was not how it was supposed to go.

Hermione hummed, considering the question for a while. "I admit, I am upset. But I trust you, I know you'll make the right decision. And he apologized to me, you know? The day I had to escort him to his dorms," she replied after a few seconds of silence. "It was awkward, really. But I could tell he meant, he almost looked like he would break." She finished with an awkward laugh.