44. like a bird

"Happy birthday!" I exclaim with a smile as Aaron walks into Asher's kitchen, where I add a few last-minute touches to the organization of the food and drink choices.

I look around, searching for the birthday hat I picked out for him when Asher and I went to the store earlier today. I finally spot it near the boxes of pizza, grabbing it and placing it on top of his head.

"Thank you," he replies, laughing.

I nod, refraining from giving him a hug. He gives me a small smile before he returns to the group of people he was in the middle of a conversation with.

Asher's house is already filled with people and the birthday party only began about twenty minutes ago. I'm not exactly sure how many people he invited, but I have a feeling that it's going to be a much bigger party than Asher made it out to be.

"Right there's good," Asher says as he and a couple of guys walk into the kitchen. The two men carry a keg, dropping it by the island. Asher reaches into his pocket and pulls out two $100 bills, handing it to them before saying a quick thank you.

"Two hundred dollars?" I ask in awe.

He nods. "We're underage, remember?"

"I guess. Still seems like a lot, though."

He swipes his hand along the right side of my face down to my chin in one quick motion before he walks over to the island and grabs a plastic cup.

"Asher, how many more people are coming?"

He looks around. "I'd say... five more."

"No, seriously," I reply. "I don't think there's enough pizza for everyone."

He laughs. "Estella, no one cares, trust. As long as there's enough cheap ass beer for everyone to drink and try to get drunk off of, they'll be happy."

He fills up his cup with beer from the keg and leaves the kitchen, joining the same group Aaron did. I pick up a water bottle, heading to the living room to find anyone to socialize with.

"Can you tie my shirt?" Devin asks as she quickly makes her way over, holding her hands behind her back.

I nod, placing my water bottle between my thighs as I grab ahold of the thin straps at the bottom of the criss-cross design of her tank top. I quickly tie them together, securing the knot with another for good measure.

"Thanks." She sighs. "Some asshole thought it'd be hilarious to untie it and then run away like a little bitch after."

"That's... not right."

"Yeah— hey, I thought you were gonna be in Utah until tomorrow," she says.

"I was." I nod. "I just, um— decided to come back home early."

She hums in understanding. "You wanna come outside with me and—"

"Hey, Estella!" Vanessa smiles, Madison and Austin following behind her. "Long time, no talk! How've you been?"

Something about the way she completely disregards Devin, who's standing right in front of me rubs me the wrong way. I give her a smile, waving at the couple behind her.

"I've been great, thanks," I reply. "I was actually talking to Devin right now—"

Vanessa whips her head around, facing Devin. "Oh my gosh, I didn't even see you there, Devin." She smiles. "My bad."