Chapter Thirty-Three (Part 2)

Start from the beginning

I cursed as I struggled with the hospital gear until finally I swiped my phone open to a brand new text from Lydia. At first I was relieved, until I saw its contents.

Lydia: I love you so much, I just needed you to know that. I have to do something, for you and for us, and I guess for me too. Please don't hate me, no matter what the outcome is. I couldn't live happily with you knowing about this shadow hanging over our heads, please know that I'm not doing this to hurt you. You are everything I've ever wanted, and maybe I could've even lived forever with you, but not with him still out there haunting us. Please forgive me.

"Jane?"

The nurse popped her head back into my hospital room, her eyes already widening as she noticed me trying to extract myself from the bed with my still sore muscles protesting every bit of the way.

"I'm not being discharged this afternoon. I'm leaving now."

I shivered as the cool Boston air slapped into my previously warmed skin, the frigidity of the atmosphere swirling with my exhalations as I stepped up my pace to make it to my ride share on time

The detectives wanted me to meet them at the police station, as their bait trap had worked.

I'd given them full access to my social media accounts, and the messages that they'd sent to Christian had worked. He finally messaged back.

He believed that it was really me and that I wanted to meet up with him in person, under the guise of asking him to leave me and my friends/family alone.

What he didn't know was the army of policemen and detectives and SWAT teams that would be after him when he finally did show up.

If he showed up...

I didn't want to think that way- I couldn't. He'd show.

The dimly lit police station smelled of light mildew and water stains decorated the ceilings and drab walls, the paint peeling in more places than it covered.

Everything was foggy, the detective's voices meshing with the roaring of panic and terror behind my ears.

I clung to the hope that once this was over that I could go back to living my normal life, that Christian couldn't terrorize anyone else ever again once I did this.

I'd do it for me, for Emmett, for Amalia, for every woman that was in trouble if he was out and roaming free, not to mention anyone that might stand in his way.

"Lydia? Are you alright? You sure you want to go through with this?"

My phone began ringing continuously, the texts coming in at a ferocious pace. Of course Emmett would be trying to get a hold of me to try and get to me before I did something stupid.

This wasn't stupid- I was working with the police, I was doing this at their behest. This was for him, for our happily ever after, the final obstacle to the finish line, and I wasn't going to let anything stand in the way of that.