The class was let you, and Sirius followed the other students out into the hallway. Some Ravenclaw girl was talking to him, though he wasn't sure why, or what about. But he nodded along as they made there way to the Marble Staircase. Sirius tried to wait for her to stop talking so he could politely say he had potions and make his way to the dungeon, but she never stopped talking so eventually he went

"I'm really sorry, to interrupt but I've gotta head to the dungeon, I've got potions but it was nice talking to you" a part of Sirius wanted to say nice pretending to listen to you but decided against it. He turned to go but before he could he felt her hand on his arm.

"So is that a no then?" She asked looking a little embarrassed, when Sirius just looked confused she added "A walk? I was wondering if you wanted to go on a walk round the lake on Saturday?"

"Oh" he said surprised "umm I'll have to see I've got Quidditch, but maybe"

He knew it was lame to not just say no when that's what he meant but there were so many people around, and he wanted to save both of them that embarrassment.

"Lucy!" Someone called to the girl, whose name must be Lucy, and she just nodded politely at Sirius and went after her friends. Sirius, glad the encounter was over, turned and headed to potions.

He scanned the hallway as he went hopefully he might see his friends making their way to their shared class, but the hallway was quiet and empty. Sirius expect that his talk with Lucy had held him up, and he would be the last to make it to potions. However he started to hear a chorus of voices from the other end of the hallway, one of which sounded eerily familiar. His suspicion was confirmed when he saw his brother rounded the corner, with a gaggle of other Slytherins most of whom where older than him.

"Look Regulus isn't that your dear brother" the taunting voice of his cousin Bellatrix said as they drew closer.

"Hi Bella" Sirius replied "shouldn't you be in class, or did failing your Transfiguration OWL free up all your time"

Bellatrix looked slightly annoyed at this but didn't completely lose her cool. Isn't Lucius Malfoy took a step forward towards Sirius.

"Dont talk about her like that. Your little friends aren't here to protect you now." He said coldly.

"Ohh so scary" Sirius said mockingly "honestly Reggie why do you hang out with these nimrods"

Everyone's eyes turned to Regulus at this and a part of Sirius hoped without reason that his brother might agree with him. That Regulus would call out his friends, and that he would have his brother back. But unsurprisingly the opposite happened.

"I'm friends with nimrods?" He asked coldly "I heard you wouldn't even tell your loser friends who gave you a bunch of love bites. You must be making out with some down right ugly girls to be that embarrassed. Either that or you finally realized your so called friends don't have enough brain cell to bother holding any conversation."

"Probably some Mudbloods" Narcissa said tauntingly, and at this Sirius pulled out his wand and pointed it wildly at the whole group.

"Ohhh we've struck a nerve" Bellatrix said in a high pitch voice. "Getting your jollies on with some filthy Mudblood girl. Probably that disgusting Lily Evans"

"Shut it Bellatrix!" Sirius snarled.

"No Bella I don't think it's her" Narcissa said equally coldly. "His idiot friend has the hots for  her."

"Probably a bloke, if his this embarrassed by them" Lucius said.

"Siri in love with a boy" Bellatrix laughed with no humour in her voice "makes sense he always was the weird one in the family. There's gotta be one."

"Yeah he always was" Regulus said but his eyes were on the floor.

Sirius was fuming now but determined not to let them win, and even more determined not to give away his right they were. So he just stood there wand out, shaking with rage.

"Now we've got important things to do" Lucius said taking one step closer to Sirius "so either Jinx me now if you're going to. Of course then we will all hit you with jinx's and hexes of our own, and your little boyfriend will have to visit you in the hospital wing."

Sirius didn't move his wand, but he also didn't utter an incantation. He let the group leave laughing. He wondered momentarily where they were going when they should all be in class, and hoped Regulus wasn't getting into anything too dark. But once they were gone he lowered his arm, and tried to push all that from his mind. However the weird one in the family cut him more than he thought it would.

He knew if he ever so much as held Remus' hand in public he wouldn't ever see his family again.