Christmas Pantomime

Elise didn't really know what to think when they piled off of the triple seat. The town had loads of people, shopping and mingling, while some kids played along the street side. Everyone seemed to have a smile with the snow in every direction.

She was more suprised that Anne put on the jacket from the carriage and told them that she was going to pretend to be a boy for a day. Elise didn't react. Anne was a strange girl.

Elise ventured off with Jerry, who even offered to buy her a small scone from the bakery after an hour of errands. Just a small joke from her made a glimmering smile spread across the French boy's face. Elise really had a way with words.

While they sat on the carriage, waiting for Anne, Jerry fumbled with the blanket again. "Are you sure you're not too cold, Elise?"

"Jerry!" She giggled. "Stop fussing! I'm fine."

He stopped and looked into her blue eyes. He smiled, forgetting everything else, for just a moment.

"Anne!" Elise's yelling brought him back as he looked at the red headed girl, who held a large box with the Tailor's mark. He pointed at the box, "You bought a dress? I thought you wanted to be a boy."

"Only for the afternoon," she rolled her eyes and climbed aboard, telling Elise all about her wondrous day as a boy.

~~~

Elise walked through the snow the next morning on her way to the town house. Her hair was nearly braided and her coat was zipped up tightly in hopes that none of the icicles of the cold could seep through her clothing. Even with Jerry's scarf wrapped around her neck loosely, her cheeks and nose still burned red against her pale face.

Half way through her walk, she stumbled into the snow, groaning and yelling about how this was foolish at this time of year. And when she thought no one heard her, someone's large hands wrapped around her arms and lifted her out of the snow.

"Elise, you alright?"

Elise's eyes widened at the boy in front of her. Gilbert Blythe held her up as she strained her coat. She was still embarrassed that she broke down in front of him.

"I'm fine," she responded. "I think Winter is supposed to be for staying at home with family and drinking hot chocolate. Not off to the town house for rehearsal in the snow!"

Gilbert laughed at her anger as she huffed, walking in pace with him. She closed her eyes for a moment. "Sorry, I don't mean to complain. Where are you off to?"

Gilbert couldn't help but smile at the beautiful girl in front of him that made his knees weak. "I'm just going for some errands in town." He pointed to the scarf, "New?"

Elise shook her head quickly as they continued walking, "Jerry, Anne's stable hand, lent it to me. We went into Carmody yesterday. It was blisteringly cold, wasn't it?"

Elise almost didn't notice his eyes turn icy cold and not because of the temperature. His jaw clenched and his smile faded. "Jerry's scarf?"

Gilbert felt a knife stab into his heart. He didn't know why but knowing that she was around wearing Jerry's scarf made him more mad than he'd ever admit.

He composed himself once more and threw back a bitter smile, "You're still looking cold. Here, take this." He took off his grey hat and plopped it onto her head. She laughed in gratitude and Gilbert was more satisfied now than before. Jealously made people do strange things.

Neither of them would ever admit that things were perfect on that small walk.

Elise felt like she had her best friend back, her silly crush blossoming again as they talked without filter, without composure. She could talk about any thing and just like before he left, he'd listen intently, never interrupting and adding input or humor that would make Elise wonder on a broader scale or laugh.