Josie's Right

Anne and Diana gestured Louis and Elise over vigorously. 

They had spent the hour walking through the stands before Elise was quickly reminded that she needed to watch the baking competition which Louis seemed more excited about. Nothing could quite excite Elise after what she had seen, but she simply tossed her hair out of her face and continued like she had never seen him. 

Once Elise joined the two girls in the crowd, Anne quickly intertwined their arms lovingly. 

"They haven't tasted my 'Mary' cake yet, but oh, I cannot seem to shake all the nerves out of my body!" Anne screeched, making Elise and Marilla giggle. 

Louis smiled and placed his hand on the small of her back. Elise heard a clearing of someone's throat behind her, and all she wished was that she could go back in time and never enter the fair. 

Gilbert's tousled hair had been packed into his hat messily, curling out of the sides. His gentle smile was nervous, something Elise was not quite used to in her presence. She couldn't bare to look at him as he spoke. She couldn't peel her eyes away from the long gown in front of her worn by the most beautiful blonde girl Elise had ever seen. 

"Oh, Winnie. This is Elise, my... classmate, and my... uh... family friend."

Winifred put out her hand, quite modernly. Elise couldn't help but see her mother staring down her nose as if she had smelled something rancid. Her father's face always seemed like it held back a scowl. 

Elise shook her hand quietly as Gilbert cleared his throat for a second time, "Anne, this is my, uh...Uh, Winifred."

His stuttering made her angry. Her voice was cold and flat, "Hello Winifred, this is my date, Louis. It's very nice to meet you."

In Gilbert's mind, he pictured two British Royal families colliding on the battle field. He truly wished he were in the middle of battle rather than standing between the two girls. He smiled uncomfortably before Elise was turned around by Anne when her number was called. 

Louis' hand pressed further into her back. She felt him turn and saw the end of his intense stare at Gilbert before it softened to a smile down at her. 

Elise nudged Anne and whispered, "It's you, Anne. Your cake!"

"It's a wonderful presentation."

The judges murmured before they all took a forkful of the cake and placed it in their mouths. Within moments, they all yelled and spit out the cake, "Dear God!"

"What is that?" "It tastes like liniment!"

Elise turned and saw the quivering of Anne's lip only before she ran out of the competition tent and into the woods. Marilla saw Elise start to walk in the same direction before shaking her head, "I've got this one."

Elise wanted to refuse to turn around and Louis felt it. He guided her away from the tent without an excuse nor a goodbye and found themselves by the flowers that were spread across the plains next to the carnival. 

~~~

"Now it's forward six and six fall back... Gents do-si-do..."

Elise giggled as Louis swung her around the dance floor in the old barn that had been decorated for a dance floor. Lights were strung up above them and everyone crowded around the dance floor clapping along to the musicians on the side. 

The song came to end with everyone clapping and laughing as Louis spun her around for the last time of that song. 

"Next up is the Dashing White Sergeant! Form up in sets of six!"