Trinidad and Some Alphabets

Elise didn't think she looked any different.

About 4-5 months had passed since Christmas and Avonlea had grown absolutely stunning. Birds created choirs and the wild flower fields blessed any eye.

Her hair had grown quite longer and if it was possible, her eyes just seemed a deeper blue, like rich polished sapphires. Her height wasn't increased by much, she had always been very short in comparison but she didn't mind.

It had taken her awhile to finally stop thinking about Gilbert, she was sick of missing him. Of course, she still did. She missed him with all her heart. She occasionally played the piece John had given her and trusted her favorite necklace inside of the jewelry box Gilbert had given to her for Christmas. She didn't like to admit it but she reread his letter often, more than she'd ever say.

Passing the time had come with practicing and helping around the house during the summer season. She had found a nice friend in Jerry.

She spent a lot of time at Green Gables. She loved visiting Anne but when she was off on an adventure, Elise found herself in the barn with Jerry, reading aloud or just talking about his large French family. She liked hearing him smile when he talked, and he smiled whenever he talked about his family.

The only thing Elise didn't like about Green Gables were the two boarders they had to pick up due to their financial issues last year, which they had helped a lot with.

Mr. Dunlop was a larger man with a beard and kind eyes who loved to bake and cook. Elise liked him.

The other boarder was Nate, who always had a mysterious look on his face and cruel eyes. She hated him. Something was off about him whenever she encountered him.

~~~

Elise was reading a romantic love story that took place during the American Civil War. She had her nose stuck in the book recently, occasionally reading to Jerry who she would have to explain the plot due to her reading ahead.

Elise and Anne sat in the barn together reading when Jerry climbed up and yelled. Anne jumped up, "What are you doing?!"

Jerry scoffed. "Working. What are you doing?!" "What does it look like I'm doing?" She held up her book.

Jerry rolled his eyes, "Something boring that isn't work." Anne rolled her eyes back, "Hardly. Nate gave me this book."

Jerry looked at the floor ominously, "Something's wrong with that guy." Elise stood up from the hay, "Jerry, why do you say that?"

He winced, like he was trying to remember something but it kept slipping away. "I dunno... I just..." Anne ignored him, "Well, this book is extremely interesting. And Nate happens to understand that reading is a necessity."

"Reading is in my life's blood. I mean, look! Look at this sentence! Isn't it glorious?" She held up her book and pointed to a sentence, shoving it into his face.

Jerry turned and looked upset, "Sometimes you're not very nice." "What do you mean? Why are you... Jerry!"

Elise looked at her, sadly, "Anne, Jerry doesn't go to school. It's like taunting." She thought for a moment, "We could teach you."

Before he could argue, Elise put her hand on his arm comfortingly, "Let's start. Words are made up of letters from something called the alphabet. There are 26 letters in the alphabet and it has infinite combinations to make up every word that there is. Let's begin with your name." She leaned down on her knees and drew in the hay on the floor. "So, this is the letter "J". This is "E"..."

Teaching Jerry was therapeutic for her. It took her mind off of everything else and Jerry enjoyed having her presence. They cracked jokes and Elise was a wonderful teacher. She always had him try to figure it out first before lending a guide for him. It helped him remember lessons long after.